What I'll Be Doing This Weekend

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dream Burls

Reaction score
photo.jpg

Here's a shot of new stuff just back from K&G that I'll be putting to the sander this weekend. A couple of new species for me starting with Anigre at the left side. It's very reminiscent of Satinwood, but the ripples are tighter, more consistent and have more chatoyance. The 12 pieces to the right of the Anigre are Leopardwood. No way you can see the beauty of the grain on these in this shot, but they don't call it Leopardwood for nothing. I sanded of one side of a piece just to peek under the stabilization coating and I like what I saw: spots in front of my eyes. When I get all the crap off and it hits the 80 grit I'll really know. Just below the Leopardwood are 8 pieces of amazing spalted Tamarind. The ripple you see in the photo are built up stabilizers not the wood. The spalting on these babies is really quite nice. To the left of the Tamarind are six pieces of old growth Redwood Lace. Some very tight eye patterns on these. The darker pieces are Ebony from a couple of different slabs, and that's some Curly Maple at the far right.

With any luck I'll have these all in the store sometime during next week.

I have a correction to make. While their appearance is very similar, the spalted pieces in the above picture are Hackberry not Tamarind. They are still amazing though. Maple, Tamarind and Hackberry all get pretty close in appearance when they're spalted.

Back