i think i am going to simplify..(egads) one knife. one Gyoto.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
i am a bonafide knife freak. i know it, my wife knows it.

i got kinda swept up in that vintage Sab thing. i was always searching for a knife buy. i am over it. i tend to hoard things. i can see that.

i am a regular home cook. nothing fancy or over the top. i just feed family and friends. i LOVE carbon steel. i love the patina, i love the way it feels..even gliding over a wet stone, i love the sound.

here is my dilemma. i cant even count how many times my mouse has glided over the "buy" button on various websites. i dont need knife plummage. i just want a regular barely sexy workhorse.

take one of my choices. the Togiharu 9" gyotou. very comfortable price range (for me). virgin carbon, and THREE various stainless steels..seriously? four steel choices?

if i chose a stainless steel..which one? any recommendations? i would DIY sharpen on waterstones. i love an edge that last a bit.

maybe just choose the carbon? my wife has small hands..so i understand this knife has smaller,rounder handles. she(we) prefer a western handle.

really just a question about steel types..

i might just punt and throw a dart or something..

chuckthebutcher was selling his togiharu VC for a great price, might want to check if he still has it. i bought his masamoto hc and the togi i handled at korin store in ny, i swear was a replica of the masa... good knife but it needs a bit of work to reach its peak performance.

hahahahahahaha.....

Well to me the criterion for choice were not really well define, sorry If you all know the preference of this member already, I was just trying to be helpful. I'll just pass my way...

If you're going for just one, I'd make it a custom. Production wise I really want to try one of the Mizuno honyaki gyutos from JCK

Well to me the criterion for choice were not really well define, sorry If you all know the preference of this member already, I was just trying to be helpful. I'll just pass my way...

I think Zweifel just found it funny that a long-time member was being pointed towards the questionnaire as we usually ask that folks who are new to the world of knives to use it. Actually, your pointing him to the form was entirely appropriate... and a little humorous, that's all :) I am sure that there was no swipe against you intended there.

I'm not mad at anyone ;)

But you're kind to matter anyway.

LG

I think Zweifel just found it funny that a long-time member was being pointed towards the questionnaire as we usually ask that folks who are new to the world of knives to use it. Actually, your pointing him to the form was entirely appropriate... and a little humorous, that's all :) I am sure that there was no swipe against you intended there.

Exactly correct, on all counts. Thanks Len.

You need a Unicorn blade boom.

For me that would be either a 210, 220 or 240 gyuto with full specs (mosaic or feather Damascus in double carbon, full damascus end cap, ferrule and spacers) by Will of Catcheside Cutlery.

When I first read the thread I was looking for a listing of those Sabs that you were over. I was ready for PP to take a beating till I read the rest.

For me the last knife standing would be stainless clad carbon. Say like a Gengetsu.

If you're going for just one, I'd make it a custom. Production wise I really want to try one of the Mizuno honyaki gyutos from JCK

Common, you perfectly know there is no such thing as "just one". :laugh:

Misono Dragon?

This is my first choice. I have one, and the profile is darn near perfect. It is thin, but not too thin, and my spouse loves using it. I have the 210mm version because I felt the dragon engraving was tacky, but if I had to do it over again I would just grab the 240mm. The 210mm is fine, but I have large hands and as a result the 240mm "feels" better--no other reason. I am as efficient with a 8" or 10" knife.

FWIW, I remember reading a while back that the Misono Swedes are reactive. In my experience with the steel is that it is a very pure carbon steel and is no more or no less reactive than any white or vintage sab steel that I have played with. You can't go wrong.

Back