Nakiri - what size and weight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that size and weight of a knife is a personal preference, but I am curios how large & heavy are your favorite nakiri knives.

I am considering to get a nakiri myself - Maybe an Itinomonn (kurouchi or SS clad) , Shig (kurouchi) or maybe Watanabe and I am wondering what size and weight would be best for the cutting tasks (onions, carrots, zucchini, etc.)

Weight for the same length is going to vary from maker to maker. Of the three you've listed, I'd say Itinomonn < Watanabe < Shig... but the Shig is by no means heavy. It's just that you'll be able to feel a weight difference between them.

Size-wise, I think most of my nakiri are 165mm and just one or two are 180mm. I don't find any real difference between those two lengths and have no particular preference either way.

well I am planning to use the Banno bunka I got from Ian as a vegetable knife. the edge looks very similar, I like the pointy tip better thou.

Matus, I own a custom Takeda 200mm Nakiri. I will add some measurements and the weight (from an analog kitchen scale) to this topic later.

- rami_m -
I would be curios to hear how does bunka from Ian works for you. How long is the flat spot? How is the food release?

In general concerning the weight - I suppose lighter knives will allow for faster cutting, but heavier blade will have more momentum to go through food that gives more resistance (like carrots, or a pumpkin). I am wondering what do you guys prefer and why.

I will let you know as soon as I get it. German Customs aren't the only slow ones :(. hope i get it soon :). the edge profile looks 100% flat to me, but will measure then i get it.

On the matter of weight... I wrote before to someone on the topic and said that I find the light weight and thin geometry on the Itinomonn absolutely wonderful like a race bike or racecar. The slightly heavier weight and the more convex geometry of the Shige is more like a cruiser or sports sedan.

They are very different from one another, but I have to say that my favorite nakiri are the Itinomonn (original version, no experience with the stainless-clad version) and Shige (both KU and kitaeji). For a fast, quick job, the Itinomonn is great... but like a racecar, it's missing the "comfort factor". The Shige, on the other hand, is great for bigger or longer jobs, where you just get good momentum and you feel in the groove while performing well.

For me, anyways, there's a place for both ends of the spectrum in terms of weight, assuming good geometry and construction... which all 3 of your main choices have. But if you're going to just choose one, my suggestion is to decide what you value more: pure performance with a bit less "comfort" and "feel", or something that you can just keep going on forever because it feels right.

BTW, my wife who knows almost nothing about knives - and although she'll admit they feel different from one another, doesn't want to know much about them - much prefers the Shiges over any of the other ones I have. So I think there's something to the "comfort plus performance" vs "pure performance" thing.

i like my nakiris to be 225 x 110 mm sized and 420-440g weight. seriously... i bought a small 165mm nakiri 2 month ago and dont like it at all. i wish i had chosen a 180 at least, but i guess im just not a nakiri guy any more since i started using cleavers.

My custom Takeda 200mm Nakiri specs:

Weight: 150~152gr
Total length: 338mm
Actual blade length: 202mm
Height at bolster: 76mm
Height at mid blade: 78mm
Height at end: 75mm
Spine at bolster: 2.5mm
Spine at mid blade: 1.5mm
Spine at end: 0.8mm

This is an AS version carbon clad blade.

Thanks guys.

One more question - when you cut/chop vegetables - do you use more the part of the blade that is closer to the handle or closer to the tip? Or does it depend on the matter being cut?

I use the tip for pull cuts. I use the "belly" - for lack of a better word - for chopping and push cutting. Always with a pinch grip.

Back