Looking for Mighty 180-210 Gyuto, Kurouchi finish, Blue Steel (new or used)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerologic

Reaction score
There are a few out there that mostly match my desires (like the following), but I want to poll some pros before I pull the trigger.

http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/pro/gyuto.htm
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...akuri/zakuri-210mm-blue-1-kurouchi-gyuto.html
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...ives/kochi/kochi-210mm-kurouchi-wa-gyuto.html

I've been happy with my 240mm Konosuke HD for most tasks, but got jealous at the heft of a Watanabe 210mm gyuto a friend bought when we pooled together an order a few months ago. Its heft and roundness felt very nice and sturdy after all my lasering about with a thin knife (which I still love using). I am a home cook, FYI.

I have the 240HD, I have a 180 Shig nakiri thinned by Cdawg, and 120 Watanabe mukimono. And a yanagi on the the way from Jon....
So I'm wanting something to fill whatever gap I'm perceiving. Mightier than what I've got for some confidence around hard root veggies and little creatures, but I don't think I want a deba since I don't do a lot of butchery (right? or do I maybe want one?). Something with a fat, round backside and some belly (If ya know what I'm sayin') and shorter than 240 to bring in the center of mass. Hopefully with a useful tip.

Also, I have never tried anything blue, so I'd like to shoot for blue steel. Gotta be Wa handle.

Hoping to polish the inherently wide bevels to be very sexy and mirrorlike against the rustic KU finish. Practiced on a beater usuba and I think I'm ready.

Okay, so that's a fair amount of criteria. Please guide me, wise beings...

Survey Responses:

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in?
Gyuto or Funayuki

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Wa handle, could go octo or D

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
180-210mm

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$256

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Have Konosuke HD 240mm, funayuki profile

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Want something shorter and heavier

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Kurouchi or bust

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Heavier and more confident/sturdy than my laser

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Want to try blue if possible, as everything I have is white or stainless

Last edited:
I have that Watanabe and really like it, especially the stainless cladding. A little thicker than some, but a very well-made knife.

Is it thick behind the edge? Did it require thinning?

I own one of the Watanabe 180 gyutos. I used it all the time. It is surprisingly useful for a 180mm knife.
Mine definitely was not thick behind the edge. It is a real performer.

It's seeming like I'll have to! I just wanted to ask around in case there's anything else that might fit my fancy from another maker.

I have a Moritaka 210mm Gyuto made of Aogami Super Steel if you want. I bought a year ago in Japan but never use it. It looks like the one in the link but with a D shape rose wood handle. Sorry, I can't insert my own picture somehow. http://www.**************.com/moritaka9.html

The Ajikataya is pretty nice. Hefty and a handsome KU.

Though I think I'm going to have to go Watanabe. Already put some feelers out to see who in my local crew is interested in picking some up, and got some positive responses.

My favorite reply was actually a fellow who bought stuff last time declining, saying "that fuguhiki filled a knife-shaped hole in my heart, and I don't think I need anything else at the moment".
Because all of my knife-shaped holes come after the blade arrives.

Thanks for the input, folks!

If you're going to go all out and thin/polish the blade anyway I'd toss my vote in for Zakuri - I use a 210 for most of what I do and while great on its own it's a much better knife once you start playing around with it, and even just taking off that sandblasted finish does wonders.

Back