Looking for a Biscuit Cutter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking a biscuit cutter is just a specialized knife with no heal and no tip..right? :D

My wife is looking for a very thin blade biscuit cutter like her grandmother used to have. The cutter we have now is thik and poorly made so it's almost impossible to get good baking powder biscuits. The dough hangs up so the sides of the biscuits are not open to bake properly. Need something thin, smooth, sharp... I have no idea what is on the market now or where to get them.

Do you have a pic of the one you currently have? Maybe just me, but I'm struggling to figure out what you mean

This is what they look like. Ours is just clunky thick with a beveled edge. Ideally they are very smooth, hard metal, and thin. I could just run out and buy something like these, but my wife is incredibly picky about her cookware, and it must perform perfectly. Little things like seams, slightly off-shape, anything that would inhibit both the cutting and release of the dough is ... out of the question. I'm such a hack I wouldn't notice, but the last batch of baking powder biscuits had to cook for an hour instead of just minutes because of our cutter.

Ever had Strawberry Short Cake made with baking powder biscuits, strawberries, and a ton of cool-whip? :hungry:

img18c.jpg

Picture credit to http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/biscuit-cutter/

Try Etsy first and then eBay. You'll be amazed at what you can find there.

Somebody please make these in damascus steel. Single bevel on the outside edge so you can sharpen it on flat stones. Rosewood handle and.....saya?

I can see the flood of posts coming....
"can someone help identify the kanji on my biscuit cutter?...."
"What jnat progression should I use - I'm currently using a ohira renge suita, but thikning that this may be too soft for a biscuit cutter...."

I use the 11pc set that the culinary institute of america sells - it's stackable, and made in stainless steel, which means I can put it in the dishwasher (yay!) You can get fluted or straight. here's a linky: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HV8YX2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ should also add that I have several other cutters and ring molds that I use for various things, but this one set seems to cover the VAST majority of what I need a biscuit cutter to do

You obviously found the ones for sale at Williams Sonoma (which also has others). A Google search shows many, many others available elsewhere, from vendors as diverse as King Arthur [flour] and Martha Stewart.

(Hbeernink -- that was hysterical.)

Oh, we use the same ones as hbeernink at work, does everything from pastry to pasta for ravioli to whatever else we need. Pretty sure we've used them for some DIY at some point or another.

I had no idea biscuit cutters would be such technically demanding cooking implements.

Has anyone tried "sharpening" or "thinning" the cutter edges with something like a Dremel? I had a request from someone to do this but have not followed through.

At first I didn't realize "biscuit cutter" referred to something that cut the raw dough into a biscuit shape. I thought there was some specialized knife for slicing a biscuit in half, like those guillotine-style bagel cutters. In that case I was going to say my favorite was to cut a biscuit is with specialized, one-of-a-kind ceramic blades.

AKA my teeth.

I would have a lot of use for cutting nesting circles into stuff, though (thinking an alternating nested bullseye pattern of various melons, etc). Might have to pick up a set. Do let us know if there are any available in aogami super.

Huh. I just use a drinking glass dunked in flour.

I had no idea biscuit cutters would be such technically demanding cooking implements.

Me neither. It has to slice smoothly through the dough without compressing or mushing the sides closed at all. That way when baked, the sides are like open grain and the biscuits cook fast and dry on the inside, not doughy at all, and the outsides are not hardened at all. Who knew?

Me neither. It has to slice smoothly through the dough without compressing or mushing the sides closed at all. That way when baked, the sides are like open grain and the biscuits cook fast and dry on the inside, not doughy at all, and the outsides are not hardened at all. Who knew?

Not too many people know this. You, sir, have a good wife!

Are biscuits common in MN? It's surprising how hard it is to find decent biscuits in some parts

I got some new de buyer synthetic cutters, I also have some old metal ones, I find sometimes the metal ones have trouble cutting clean cuts, especially for pasta. The new plasticy/siliconey ones are very good so far, we will have to see how they hold up, they weren't cheap.

Not too many people know this. You, sir, have a good wife!

Are biscuits common in MN? It's surprising how hard it is to find decent biscuits in some parts

Amazingly baking powder buscuits are not that well known among the younger crowd. Most folks in a grocery store around here have never heard of them. Biscuits and Gravy for breakast. Good stuff. Same buscuits with sweetend strawberrys and cool whip for desert. Warm biscuits with lots of real butter.

I'm also surprised I didn't get more hits on this thread pointing me to members favorite and often used cutters. You folks here know everything about food prep. Or so much that I think you know everything. :)

I got some new de buyer synthetic cutters, I also have some old metal ones, I find sometimes the metal ones have trouble cutting clean cuts, especially for pasta. The new plasticy/siliconey ones are very good so far, we will have to see how they hold up, they weren't cheap.

How thin and sharp are they, or are they thick and beveled?

They are beveled, not sharp, but their geometry allow for a smooth cut, I have used ateco metals, and cia metal cutters, I am enjoying the de buyers more so far. They are the same as Matfer Bourgeats, I think CIA makes a synthetic cutter as well. Ohya, they are just under 1mm BTE, but are thicker up high for support, they can take pressing down without making deformed circles.

Back