Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a $50 stone to bridge Bester 1200 and Arashiyama 6000

Recommend a $50 stone to bridge Bester 1200 and Arashiyama 6000

Currently I have a Bester 1200 and Arashiyama 6000, which I follow with a leather strop loaded with 1 micron boron carbide paste. The jump between stones isn't terrible, but sometimes I wish for a "bridge" stone or just something a little finer than the Bester as a stopping point. I hear great things about the Gesshin 2000, but that's almost double what I'd like to spend.

Perhaps the Suehiro Rika 5000? I read that people think it cuts like a 3000.

I was going to get the Naniwa Aotoshi "green brick", but then I found this thread: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...Naniwa-Aotoshi
    and that made me reconsider.

I used to have bester 1.2k, naniwa super stone 3k, and arashiyama 6k. Naniwa is quite fine acting in the middle there.

Naniwa SS 3k has some interesting qualities it seems. http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...recommendation
    See posts #6 and #7. Doesn't sound appealing to me.

Yes, that JKS 3k might do nicely. Anybody have experience with the Imanishi 4k? Or thoughts on the Rika 5k as a bridge?

Honestly I'm tempted to get the Gesshin 2k despite the price, everybody seems to love them.

I just go right from Bester 1200 to the Rika 5k.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Same as theory. Works perfectly ive tried different combos and I just go back to this every time

I'm also in the two stone camp. Ninety percent of the time, I use a 500-1k to establish my edge and then a 4-6k to finish. I find this gives he best balance of cutting performance and edge retention.

Sounds like the Rika 5k is the way to go.
    I like the simplicity of the 2-stone setup I have now, but options, you know?

Tycho,

What sort of steels do you normally sharpen?

I was thinking about picking up the same combo you have (Bester 1200/Arashiyama) this coming month.

Do you think the arashiyama is too large of jump from 1.2k --> 6k when sharpening carbon steel blades?