Quantcast
Recommend a $50 stone to bridge Bester 1200 and Arashiyama 6000 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend a $50 stone to bridge Bester 1200 and Arashiyama 6000

Thank about it like this. 200-500 grit stone = reset a bevel or establishing a new edge. 1000-2000 grit stone = sharpening and refineing the edge the main part of the sharpening. And 3000-8000 for polishing,honing and really trueing the edge. Techniqually it is best to have a 3 stone setup but you can get away with 2 stone as long as you dont let your edges get to blunt. I like to completely refresh my edges on my knives around every 5 times I sharpen. I just feel after awhile they need a good amount of fresh steel.

Jai,

I forgot to mention that I'm also picking up an Atoma 400. This will serve as both my lapping plate and course grit stone. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jai View Post
    Thank about it like this. 200-500 grit stone = reset a bevel or establishing a new edge. 1000-2000 grit stone = sharpening and refineing the edge the main part of the sharpening. And 3000-8000 for polishing,honing and really trueing the edge. Techniqually it is best to have a 3 stone setup but you can get away with 2 stone as long as you dont let your edges get to blunt. I like to completely refresh my edges on my knives around every 5 times I sharpen. I just feel after awhile they need a good amount of fresh steel.

Do you think the arashiyama is too large of jump from 1.2k --> 6k when sharpening carbon steel blades?
    I use almost exclusively carbon steel. I've got a 52100 chukabocho and an Aogami #2 gyuto. My personal, non-kitchen knives are either 1084 or 5160. If I were to pick up a stainless knife in the future, it would probably be in AEB-L since I've disliked every other stainless I've tried.

I don't think the 1.2k-6k is too big of a jump, because the Arashiyama does cut relatively quickly. However I wonder if I could get better results with a bridge stone, and spend less time on the Arashiyama. It works, but perhaps it could be better? People seem to love the Bester 1200/Suehero Rika 5000 combo, and Dave Martell thinks they pair well together.

TL,DR: I don't think it's too big a jump, but there could be room for improvement.

I'll second (or 3rd or 4th....wherever we are) the 1200 to 5000 Bester/Rika jump. I think that's very solid for practical use. I'll play with an 8 and 10k if I'm fooling with a polished edge, but my Naniwa 3000 that doesn't see much action.

yeah i like using 2 stone jumps for most of my sharpening too. if nothing else, maybe find a second finishing stone or a second medium grit stone where you can start experimenting with different stone progressions.