Takeda: Tips for Thinning the Secondary Bevel.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazhpfan

Reaction score
Dear KKF,

A few weeks back I picked up a Takeda 210mm gyuto.

The knife does not suffer from wedging issues across most of the blade road except for the last 2-3cm near the tip.

The secondary bevel was quite underground in that area (especially on the left face) rendering the distal taper practically useless.

I would like to thin the cladding down and am hoping some of the more knowledgeable members would share their experience in this area.

Should I follow the angle of the secondary bevel set by the smith and simply grind down metal until the cladding is then enough?

Or should I choose a more acute angle and cut in a new secondary bevel until fresh core steel is exposed?

Would about esthetics? I'm affraid the knife would look weird near the tip if I only thin the cladding there. However, the rest of the blade cuts very smoothly with no wedging. I don't see a need to remove more steel than necessary.

:thankyou:

Depending on your current grind, thinning may or may not raise shinogi line, but in most case it has to be raised. And whether you need to choose a lower angle or not also depends on your current grind.

It sounds like you'll have to thin front section with a bit lower angle. Can't say much with out pictures. Aesthetically, you can thin particular area more than other, but to keep it look nice, you'll generally have to sharpen and polish the whole bevel to the same grit level again.

Dear Schanop,

I've attached two images highlighting the problem.

Please let me know if you need more.

Thank you for the help!

DSC7880.jpg

DSC7871_rescale.jpg

Back