Quantcast
How to preserve kasumi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to preserve kasumi

How to preserve kasumi

Here's a picture of Watanabe knife that I'm enjoying. Has it for about a month or so and only stropped so far. But eventually there'll be time when it needs to be taken to stones. I normally use Chosera 1k, Gesshin 2k and JCK 6k. All of those would replace kasumi with semi mirror finish. I've already tried on another Watanabe's knife, so I know for sure.

Here on KKF I stumbled upon different recommendations for preserving kasumi: King 800, Gesshin Jinzo Aoto or some other natural Aotos. Or fingerstones.

I find it a bit unreasonable to spend lots of money on yet another stone just for kasumi, but if I can go away cheap — then I might try it. And from all above stones, only King 800 seems to be pretty affordable (I'd like to keep it under 100$). But I don't really understand how can I preserve kasumi finish with just a King 800… cause it will be followed by 2k and 6k… and they would destroy kasumi? I think I'm missing something here, but I don't know what

Do you keep that hazy finish on your double bevel knives?

P.S. I actually sent email to Shinichi Watanabe asking how he created that kind of finish. Here's his reply: "We use micro grass ball shooting for the hazy kasumi finish. You need the shoot machine, so it is difficult to get same finish by you. You already have some good stones. I think you could get better surface with your stones." But hey… does he really suggested me to stop buying new stuff?

As you surmise, you cannot follow the King 800 with higher grit stones and preserve the kasumi finish. If you want a higher grit kasumi finish on the blade road, you will have to use a higher grit natural, the Gesshin Jinzo or fingerstones.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

As you may have guessed, Watanabe is talking about bead blasting.

Maxim sells a very nice 1k synthetic fingerstone that I've used after final sharpening to restore a nice kasumi finish. Highly recommended.

You can polish the entire bevel from the kuro Uchi down on the king 800, then raise the spine slightly and finish the edge on a higher grit stone
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

And finishing the edge / hagane only is very doable given the convexity

I found the fingerstonesby Maxim. But he has quite a lot. Which one do you mean, Norton?

My understanding is that you thing the secondary bevel as much as you need/want and apply any finish you want. Then you go back to King 800 to create that cloudy finish. After that you sharpen the primary edge as usual.

I've had some trouble getting a nice haze on a convex bevel. My Asano nagura actually put a misty finish on, but I hate how it looks when not totally even...I've tried loading up a little chunk of balsa or a small paper pad to try to just use slurry, but it doesn't have much effect.

Really don't want to make paper-backed fingerstones, but not sure how to get a great kasumi without.

Thanks for the comment guys!

I'll probably have to stop caring about preserving kasumi and just sharpen using usual stones progression. Seems like it takes more time/effort then I'm willing to give.

King 800 - You might also try the JNS 800, which I have and which also sounds similar to the King

Nagura - I haven't tried natural nagura (asano, etc) on a synth. But why not? Could be a more inexpensive way to try. I use nagura all the time on naturals. Very useful and gives you way more flexibility.

Otherwise, I like the suggestions above about first thinning then finishing the 2nd bevel in kasumi perhaps with that King, and then polishing the 1st bevel if you can.