Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Biscuit Cutter

Looking for a Biscuit Cutter

I'm thinking a biscuit cutter is just a specialized knife with no heal and no tip..right?

My wife is looking for a very thin blade biscuit cutter like her grandmother used to have. The cutter we have now is thik and poorly made so it's almost impossible to get good baking powder biscuits. The dough hangs up so the sides of the biscuits are not open to bake properly. Need something thin, smooth, sharp... I have no idea what is on the market now or where to get them.

Do you have a pic of the one you currently have? Maybe just me, but I'm struggling to figure out what you mean

This is what they look like. Ours is just clunky thick with a beveled edge. Ideally they are very smooth, hard metal, and thin. I could just run out and buy something like these, but my wife is incredibly picky about her cookware, and it must perform perfectly. Little things like seams, slightly off-shape, anything that would inhibit both the cutting and release of the dough is ... out of the question. I'm such a hack I wouldn't notice, but the last batch of baking powder biscuits had to cook for an hour instead of just minutes because of our cutter.

Ever had Strawberry Short Cake made with baking powder biscuits, strawberries, and a ton of cool-whip?

Picture credit to http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/biscuit-cutter/

Try Etsy first and then eBay. You'll be amazed at what you can find there.

Somebody please make these in damascus steel. Single bevel on the outside edge so you can sharpen it on flat stones. Rosewood handle and.....saya?

I can see the flood of posts coming....
    "can someone help identify the kanji on my biscuit cutter?...."
    "What jnat progression should I use - I'm currently using a ohira renge suita, but thikning that this may be too soft for a biscuit cutter...."

I use the 11pc set that the culinary institute of america sells - it's stackable, and made in stainless steel, which means I can put it in the dishwasher (yay!) You can get fluted or straight. here's a linky: http://www.amazon.com/CIA-Masters-Co.../dp/B000HV8YX2

^^ should also add that I have several other cutters and ring molds that I use for various things, but this one set seems to cover the VAST majority of what I need a biscuit cutter to do

You obviously found the ones for sale at Williams Sonoma (which also has others). A Google search shows many, many others available elsewhere, from vendors as diverse as King Arthur [flour] and Martha Stewart.

(Hbeernink -- that was hysterical.)

Oh, we use the same ones as hbeernink at work, does everything from pastry to pasta for ravioli to whatever else we need. Pretty sure we've used them for some DIY at some point or another.

I had no idea biscuit cutters would be such technically demanding cooking implements.