on the hunt for a new Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevalivier

Reaction score
Hello,
Waiting on my tax return and on the hunt for a new Gyuto. Already have a Mac MTH-80 (the gateway drug), my old Victorinox rosewood 10' from my catering days, and more recently one of the lasts Miyabi 7000mc 240mm that were still in stock at Cutlery and more.

Canada (limiting my choices if I don't want to be rape by shipping/customs duties to: Tosho Knife Arts, Knifewear, Paul's Finest, MyKnifePro, ...) If you guys have others in mind let me know!
KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
chef’s knife
Are you right or left handed?
right handed
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese handle
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240mm-270mm (I like the extra lenght of my 270mm kiritsuke-yanigi and of my Masakage 300mm Suji and will more than often use them for lot more than slicing proteins)
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
not nessecarely, would prefer (stainless, PM or semi-stainless/not a fan of patina). But I do enjoy the silkiness of carbon steel
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
350$
KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
mostly home
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
I want a workhorse, already have a few decent slicers, cleavers and smaller knives
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Victorinox rosewood handle 10'
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
pinch grip
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push-Cut, Slice, a bit of rocking
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
I like the lenght and geometry of my 10in victorinox, but would like a better performing steel (I put a 10 degrees/side bevel for fun on it and it for sure doesn't last very long, lol)
I'm impressed by my Mac mth-80, really like the balance between hardness and toughness. But I find 200mm a bit short for my taste and even if it's a very good handle, I do prefer a Wa one.
I REALLY like my Miyabi's performance and f&f (havn't touch the factory edge yet). The ZDP-189 is an awesome steel, very high performance like Gator said. But at 66Hrc, I sometimes feel like (sorry for the car analogy) using it as a workhorse would be like going on a dirt road with a Ferrari = I am being carefull with it.
So looking for something between my Victorinox 56 and my Miyabi at 66Hrc.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood, end-grain
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes
SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
...and a question about Mac steel:
Even after having tasted PM, white#2 and aogami super...I'm still very impressed with the Mac Pro steel. From my research, the gyuto (mth-80) and santoku (msk-65) from their pro line are the only ones apart from the Ultimate series to be made with their "advanced" steel that as some tungsten in the alloy. Mac being very secretive about the composition of their steel, most people are guessing that would be takefu's VG5, but that one doesn't seem to have tungsten in it (could it be VG7 ?).
I don't know if it's the Tungsten or their "ice-hardening" process or both, but it's one hell of a blade. Being a Mac, the OOTB sharpness was pretty much as good as it gets, plus the edge retention and toughness are amazing (I've accindently went throught a few bones while dicing some chicken whitout even noticing it...and the edge was still 100% intact). So I love that steel, and from my understanding, not a lot of tungsten alloys out there, except from Artisan/Harayuki SRS-15. (but I'm looking for a Wa handle)

My choices as I'm writing this:
1- http://www.williamsfoodequipment.ca...rchwood-9-5-gyutoh-chefs-knife-34373-241.html
Pros: Miyabi/Henckels F&F and heat treat, good PM steel good hardness, very distinctive damascus finish and handle, and mostly that thread/review by JohnnyChance:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/962-Miyabi-240mm-Birchwood-Gyuto
Cons: Pricy (a lot of stores are selling it at 400$), but had order it for 250$ before price increase a few weeks back. Now back order, folks at the store told me Miyaby is having issues with the birchwood = won't receive them until end of June.

2- https://myknifepro.com/shop/kikuichi-ns-warikomi-damascus-10-gyutochefs-knife/
Pros: Kikuichi's reputation, AEBL-L seems heat-treated properly at 60Hrc, fair pricre, nice shiny Blade
Cons: I think it's quite a recent line from Kikuichi, couldn't find any objective review on it. (I like the videos from Mr Knife fanatic from CktG, but they sound a bit more like a sales demo)

3- https://toshoknifearts.com/shop/knives/konosuke-hd-kiritsuke-gyuto-270mm
Pros: Konosuke's reputation, especially the HD line. Length.
Cons: not full stainless, will patina over time (I cut a lot of onions), already have a sakai takayuki 270mm kititsuke-yanagiba (even though the konosuke as a lot more of a gyuto than a yanagiba/slicer profile) not sure about the tip...fragile?

4- http://www.paulsfinest.com/Sakai-Takayuki-Grand-Chef-Japanese-Gyuto-Chef-s-Knife-270mm-10.6.html
Pros: lenght, geometry, good steel, I find Sakai Takayuki to have good performance/price value
Cons: not top heat-treat/left soft AEB-L at 58Hrc according to Devin Thomas (even thought Paul's says 60...Even Mark at CKtG rated them at 58 a few weeks back and now says on his site 60...) I do trust Mr AEB-L a bit more.

Thanks in advance!

Back