Quantcast
do you know anyone that cannot use chopsticks? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: do you know anyone that cannot use chopsticks?

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I can use them, and actually enjoy it. Really though, a fork is better.
    Jason

I'd never use a fork for Cheetos.

I was lucky while in my teens I was working at a pizzeria across from a sushi restaurant so we'd trade pizza for sushi and I got a fair grip on chopsticks. I think I might be a scissor technique person. Does anyone have a link to an example of the "correct" way of chopstick usage?

The majority of people I know can't use chopsticks- or a fork for that matter. I prefer to eat with my hands, but chopsticks are the next best thing if you're around people that get weirded out by simple things like eating with your hands. Forks are boring.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I find it amusing that they refer to tapping your sticks in a downward motion to ready them as being rude, as I've seen that done(and done it myself) in droves of anime and Japanese movies- most recently: Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Done so by Jiro himself. A michelined sushi chef is quite rude apparently.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Despite working in a Chinese restaurant as a teenager, living in Okinawa for 3 years and having a husband and daughter totally immersed in Asian culture and cuisine, I dont know how to use chopsticks

Quote Originally Posted by Talim View Post
    Upon watching this video, it seems I do use my chopsticks correctly.

90% of the Chinese here that I see have been using it wrongly for generations, including every single one in my family. When I was in college, the lecturer asked my classmates "how do you people use chopsticks?" All of them do it wrong. That INDIAN lecturer had to teach them how to use instead. What a shame.

If you hold it right, you will be able to grab a spherical object up, like a fish ball.

However, I don't like chopsticks, when I eat at Chinese restaurants, I will request for a fork instead. Using chopsticks is very tiring and it sucks for delicate works like removing shells from prawns.

I hold it right very naturally, it's just logic there.

I use my hands for shells off shrimps/prawns

I used to find it tiring... somewhere around the web of my hand... to use chopsticks. I don't feel it anymore, and haven't for quite some time. I think it's from not having to tense up my hand to keep everything under control unlike when I first began practicing proper technique.
    Len