Quantcast
Have you eaten with your hands? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you eaten with your hands?

Little bit out of topic. But I miss Sudanese/ Ethiopian food from where I grew up. I think the texture of these foods are different when eaten by hand. It somehow taste better.

Quote Originally Posted by larrybard View Post
    I think that's true of several countries in Asia (e.g., India), the Middle East and Africa. But in the U.S. (rather than visiting those countries) that doesn't stop me, especially since I'm left-handed (and not particularly well coordinated -- though I don't think if I tried using my right hand the food would necessarily wind up in my nose).
    Also a lefty here...which makes learning to do it right-handed all the more awkward.

It's not something I'd generally do around my uhhhh....western friends...not sure what term to use here. Would make them feel weird, I think. But when in someone else's home....seems appropriate. Also a good chance to learn/appreciate.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Big +1 for ambidexterity
    Len

Lefty (writing, cutting) but for any other stuff I use my right hand... The result of kindergarten terrorism....

If I needed to eat with my hands to avoid breaking custom and offending people, I would; but I wouldn't reject appropriate Western or Eastern utensils in favor of it. For foods that are traditionally eaten with the hands, no problem.

Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

It depends on the food and the mood. Some food are more enjoyable using your hands like when eating seafood. It's easier to peel a shrimp or crab or to pick out bones out of the fish with your hands. What's interesting is that some cultures you have to use certain fingers to pick up the food whereas where I grew up you can use all of your fingers to pick up the food, which is usually accompanied with rice, and then you use your thumb to move the food into your mouth.

Like any good well bred lady of hillbilly origin, I can most definitely eat with my hands. Rather gracefully too I might add.

I had to laugh while reading through this thread, it made me think of when my husband and I first met. Long story short, we met on an online game and got married 2 days after meeting face to face. While at breakfast the morning after we got married, I ordered a fruit bowl and some scrambled eggs. When the food came I started eating the fruit, picking it up with my hands, not thinking anything of it. Then I grabbed my fork to eat the eggs and he let out this huge sigh with a great big cheesy smile planted on his face. I asked why he was smiling so cheekily and he says to me, "this is the first time I've seen you use a utensil to eat with!" LOL the look of relief on his face was priceless.

I hadn't given it much thought until that moment but everything we ate until then was eaten at my house and did not "require" a utensil to eat it.

I cannot use chopsticks though.....

Quote Originally Posted by Erilyn75 View Post
    Like any good well bred lady of hillbilly origin, I can most definitely eat with my hands. Rather gracefully too I might add.

I had to laugh while reading through this thread, it made me think of when my husband and I first met. Long story short, we met on an online game and got married 2 days after meeting face to face. While at breakfast the morning after we got married, I ordered a fruit bowl and some scrambled eggs. When the food came I started eating the fruit, picking it up with my hands, not thinking anything of it. Then I grabbed my fork to eat the eggs and he let out this huge sigh with a great big cheesy smile planted on his face. I asked why he was smiling so cheekily and he says to me, "this is the first time I've seen you use a utensil to eat with!" LOL the look of relief on his face was priceless.

I hadn't given it much thought until that moment but everything we ate until then was eaten at my house and did not "require" a utensil to eat it.

You would fit right in with my family. My wife's...not so much

Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Erilyn75 View Post

Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Eating rice with various sauces or dal, etc, with hands - yeah, it's awkward and takes some skill. Not sure how true it is but, like with using a mortar&pestle instead of a blender, people like to say food tastes better that way. Me, I disagree because I'm too focused on not making a big mess rather than enjoying the taste.