Quantcast
Have you eaten with your hands? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have you eaten with your hands?

The Malays here still eat rice with their bare hands, which I find disgusting. Yes, it does take some technique, particularly in pushing the rice into your mouth, your thumb is the key. It was taught to me by a Chinese teacher when I was still schooling.

Ever heard of the fruit Durian? 99.9% people here eat it with their hands, I'm the only weird guy eating it by sticking a sharp fork into the seed. The civilized way to eat? I find it disgusting to mesh the fruit with my fingers.

Oh, but durian is a different beast altogether - not everyone eats it to begin with

I just spoke with an old friend earlier today who came back (briefly) from abroad. I asked him about eating with his hands in India and he just shrugged and said it's no big deal. No big mess, nothing - even with curry on rice. Just eat like everyone else and enjoy it.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    Eating rice with various sauces or dal, etc, with hands - yeah, it's awkward and takes some skill. Not sure how true it is but, like with using a mortar&pestle instead of a blender, people like to say food tastes better that way. Me, I disagree because I'm too focused on not making a big mess rather than enjoying the taste.
    Exactly my experience
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.