Quantcast
Have you eaten with your hands?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you eaten with your hands?

Have you eaten with your hands?

Well, technically, "hand."

I have some good friends who typically do no use utensils to eat, so when I dine with them, I try to practice eating with my hand. I discovered that I had an unfounded bias about this. It's actually a complex skill, particularly to be graceful. Hambugers/fries/etc.? obviously easy (well, with two hands hamburgers are easy). How about rice? curry? or dosa and chutney? stewed lentils? The list of wet dishes with small ingredients goes on rather extensively.

Any one else have experience with this?

Also: yay waterbowls!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

i tend to use whatever is easier, I will be at a restaurant with my wife and she will be trying to get at something difficult with utensils while I just pick it up with my hands

I even eat crepes and some types of bread with fork and knife. Cannot think of any other way.

Even though in my country there is saying that "poultry fish and women should be touched only with hands".

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzardborn View Post
    I even eat crepes and some types of bread with fork and knife. Cannot think of any other way.

Even though in my country there is saying that "poultry fish and women should be touched only with hands".
    How do you guys urinate?

Quote Originally Posted by XooMG View Post
    How do you guys urinate?
    Just drop your trousers and let loose?

After all, if you don't really care where the stream goes...
    Len

Ethiopian food -- one of my favorites -- is traditionally eaten without utensils.

Basically, most of the food tends to be of stew-like consistency, and one tears off a piece of injera (bread resembling a large sourdough pancake) and scoops up a mouthful of the other food. Delicious.

Love Ethiopian food. So tasty. Really easy to scoop up the food with injera and eat. Not sure I'd enjoy the experience so much if I didn't have the injera to nicely pick/scoop and pack everything though.

Last time I ate Ethiopian with some buds, I got some strange looks from a few other patrons. Took me a few moments to realize why: I was eating with my left hand. My hands were clean, and I was sitting on the left-side of the table (which means I turn to the right to be part of the conversation), so I just continued doing so even after I figured it out.

Generally not good to go lefty when eating foods that are hands-on though
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Love Ethiopian food. So tasty. Really easy to scoop up the food with injera and eat. Not sure I'd enjoy the experience so much if I didn't have the injera to nicely pick/scoop and pack everything though.

Last time I ate Ethiopian with some buds, I got some strange looks from a few other patrons. Took me a few moments to realize why: I was eating with my left hand. My hands were clean, and I was sitting on the left-side of the table (which means I turn to the right to be part of the conversation), so I just continued doing so even after I figured it out.

Generally not good to go lefty when eating foods that are hands-on though
    I think that's true of several countries in Asia (e.g., India), the Middle East and Africa. But in the U.S. (rather than visiting those countries) that doesn't stop me, especially since I'm left-handed (and not particularly well coordinated -- though I don't think if I tried using my right hand the food would necessarily wind up in my nose).

lots. i dont like it.

moving food into your mouth with your hands feels like an awkward mess to me. i spent a month in malaysia. rice with your hands is downright weird. with gravy laden food..weird and messy.

I'm with you Boom. Another pet peeve I have is eating while standing. Sure a dog or burger at the park is fine but kills me trying to enjoy something hot and well prepared off a food truck, festival or banquet standing up eating.

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    lots. i dont like it.

moving food into your mouth with your hands feels like an awkward mess to me. i spent a month in malaysia. rice with your hands is downright weird. with gravy laden food..weird and messy.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.