Quantcast
Which sabatier? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which sabatier?

Before patina has formed you may expect discolouration of onions. After you've forced a patina or a natural one has been formed, none. For care, wipe with a damp cloth after a task, especially the edge. After work, clean with very hot water and let it thoroughly dry at air before ranging.

Sorry, apparently my English needs work...what's "ranging" in this context? Hygiene-wise this patina should be alright I guess...can I keep using my sharpening steel? After every task I could rinse it in cold water and wipe it dry with a clean paper, would that do? Do I have to air-dry it or will a dry rag do? I could carry a fitting fabric in my roll, but hanging around after work until my knifes are dried off? I do believe this I cannot do

It was my poor English. A terrible gallicism. I meant, let it dry before putting it away.

Once a patina has installed you rinse it with really hot water after work and it will dry within a few minutes. It isn't all that critical. You just have to make sure real, active rust doesn't get a chance.

And about steeling: I realize it's unavoidable in a pro environment. But it will always damage an edge to a certain extend. At home I can maintain soft carbons with leather and Cr2O3, though. A steeling rod should be very smooth, consider a fine ceramic one or a polished steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    And about steeling: I realize it's unavoidable in a pro environment. But it will always damage an edge to a certain extend. At home I can maintain soft carbons with leather and Cr2O3, though. A steeling rod should be very smooth, consider a fine ceramic one or a polished steel.
    Hm, I have an old one the guy I trained under gave me, it's almost chrome shiny nowadays...would that do? And leather...like a razor? Cr2O3? Sorry, I'm totally clueless here.

About that rod: if you do feel ribbons it's far too coarse. Soft carbons benefit from highly convexed polished edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilio View Post
    Hm, I have an old one the guy I trained under gave me, it's almost chrome shiny nowadays...would that do? And leather...like a razor? Cr2O3? Sorry, I'm totally clueless here.
    I think he meant CrO2, chromium oxide. It's used to "load" strops
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I think he meant Cr2O3, the olive green stuff.