Deba question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannynyc

Reaction score
Don't know if this knife exists, but can anyone point me to a Western (double beveled), wa-handled deba in stainless or semi-stainless? Preferably 210 or 180 and preferably under $300.

To clarify, I'd like a big, bad deba that I don't need to baby, basically the Tojiro Western but with a wa-handle.

Yo Deba technically means Western Deba. So I don't know. Maybe Takeda or Moritaka. I know I know...

why do you want a double bevel deba? are you a lefty?

Fair question. No, I'm not a lefty. But I have no experience with single bevels, and this doesn't seem like the best place to start, as I don't intend to use a deba for its intended function, but rather as a thick, heavy gyuto.

Why don't you buy thick heavy gyuto instead or a cleaver? Deba's are not meant to be abused.

Why don't you buy thick heavy gyuto instead or a cleaver? Deba's are not meant to be abused.

I'm certainly open to a heavy gyuto, though not a cleaver. But I'd want a pretty thick one, at least 4mm at the spine. Any suggestions for a lower-end gyuto that fits this description and can take a beating? To remind, interested in wa handle and stainless or semi-stainless.

FWIW, a western deba is going to be more of a beast than a traditional euro chef, and is supposed to be the heavy duty workhorse in a double beveled kitchen.

DannyNYC - thinking about what you're going to use it for, and what you use now....my first thoughts were Hiro G3 or a Misono Sweden Steel or 440 series... neither is a wa-handle, and the G3 is listed as 170mm. I'd certainly shoot Koki an e-mail and see if the G3 is available in larger sizes, and a wa-handle may be elusive in what is supposed to be a 'western' specialty blade

I have the Ikkanshi Tadatsuna Inox and it definitely is a beast - 215mm long, weighs 404 grams and the spine at the thickest point is a little over 6mm.

I have the Ikkanshi Tadatsuna Inox and it definitely is a beast - 215mm long, weighs 404 grams and the spine at the thickest point is a little over 6mm.

Hmm, that's odd -- the A-Frames website says the Ikkanshi Tadatsuna is 2mm at its thickest point and describes the blade as "very thin." Perhaps they've changed the design?

I think the Tojiro is probably what I need. I'll just suck up the fact that it doesn't have my preferred handle in favor of function.

Hmm, that's odd -- the A-Frames website says the Ikkanshi Tadatsuna is 2mm at its thickest point and describes the blade as "very thin." Perhaps they've changed the design?

I think the one on A-Frames is different or maybe a typo ? The knife I have would definitely not be described as "very thin." Mine has a western handle...not sure if this makes a difference ??

Seems like the easy answer may be to find the western you like then have it rehandled to Wa or one of Dave M's hidden tang westerns.

Seems like the easy answer may be to find the western you like then have it rehandled to Wa or one of Dave M's hidden tang westerns.

My sense was that converting from yo- to wa- is crazy expensive. Do you know something I don't?

I think he's referring to the double bevel Deba, yes Tadatsuna Gyutos are very thin, similar to Other Sakai lasers

If you are willing to go carbon, Watanabe's Kaibou is seemingly the answer to your prayers, described by the man himself as very strong and heavy. I'm assuming you're not bothered about F&F if you are planning to beat on it.

http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/standard/kaibou.htm

210mm is 5.5mm at spine. Cheap too.

Have you looked at the Takeda ryoba deba?

If you are willing to go carbon, Watanabe's Kaibou is seemingly the answer to your prayers, described by the man himself as very strong and heavy. I'm assuming you're not bothered about F&F if you are planning to beat on it.

http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/standard/kaibou.htm

210mm is 5.5mm at spine. Cheap too.

I have one of those, he even chiseled my name on the blade at the Eugene Oregon knife show a few years ago. Works OK but I have knives I like better for that use. One being a Carter.

Back