Thread: Shigefusa Thinning (Performance Package)

Shigefusa Thinning (Performance Package)

Shigefusa Thinning (Performance Package)

Any chance you could snap and post up some before & after choil shots on the next one, Dave?
    Len

That looks great Dave! I bet it performs as good as it looks!
    Thanks
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Any chance you could snap and post up some before & after choil shots on the next one, Dave?

That'd be a good idea, I'll try.

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    That looks great Dave! I bet it performs as good as it looks!
    Thanks

Thanks Huw

I want to note that most of the steel that was removed was from the lower 1/3 of the blade.

Beautiful restoration of that Shig Dave. One question, you mentioned the spine and the choil were rounded, were they rough to begin with? I ask because my Shig Gyuto came with a beautifully rounded spine and choil.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Beautiful restoration of that Shig Dave. One question, you mentioned the spine and the choil were rounded, were they rough to begin with? I ask because my Shig Gyuto came with a beautifully rounded spine and choil.

Thanks for the kind words Pete.

On your question, when thinning a knife up to the spine/choil you will inevitably make the spine/choil less round (or even squared off and sharp) as you remove steel at those sections. Also, in this particular case, the knife's heel was missing so some grinding was done on the choil to fix that and then rounding was required there.

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Here's an after
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

I am so curious how this one cuts compared with stock Shigefusa grind. It does looks really thin from here, way thinner that an Apple.