D. Martell Shigefusa Thinning (Performance Package)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Shigefusa Thinning (Performance Package)

shigefusa-performance-package-martell1-jpg.1640

shigefusa-performance-package-martell2-jpg.1641

shigefusa-performance-package-martell3-jpg.1642

Any chance you could snap and post up some before & after choil shots on the next one, Dave? :)

I want to note that most of the steel that was removed was from the lower 1/3 of the blade.

Beautiful restoration of that Shig Dave. One question, you mentioned the spine and the choil were rounded, were they rough to begin with? I ask because my Shig Gyuto came with a beautifully rounded spine and choil.

Beautiful restoration of that Shig Dave. One question, you mentioned the spine and the choil were rounded, were they rough to begin with? I ask because my Shig Gyuto came with a beautifully rounded spine and choil.

Thanks for the kind words Pete. :)

On your question, when thinning a knife up to the spine/choil you will inevitably make the spine/choil less round (or even squared off and sharp) as you remove steel at those sections. Also, in this particular case, the knife's heel was missing so some grinding was done on the choil to fix that and then rounding was required there.

I am so curious how this one cuts compared with stock Shigefusa grind. It does looks really thin from here, way thinner that an Apple.

Back