Quantcast
Are stemless wine glasses cool? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are stemless wine glasses cool?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    I've yet to lose or knock over a stemless Reidel. It's policy in my house that I'm not allowed to use the good stuff without adult supervision. I like the stability .
    I'm a clumsy bastard too, so I like them (much safer on the workbench too)

Be well,
    Mikey
    Available handles- [url]http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkriggen/library/Available20handles[/url]

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

In theory, with a stemless glass the heat from your hand is going to heat the glass...and therefore the wine. How much truth to that there is, I don't know. I don't have any stemless glasses and if I did. I still would not wash them in the dishwasher. Assuming we are talking about nicer crystal ones anyway. So, that would not draw me to them. I don't really have anything against them, personally. My wife, on the other hand, thinks they are too "modern" So, even if I wanted some, I would get overuled anyway.

I don't like them.

I'm used to a stem.
    The wine does heat up in your hand. For a chard that's too cold that's fine but for reds not so much.
    If you eat with your fingers (hey, it's the trend) you get smudge marks all over the glass.

This is my idea of a stemless wine glass. At 6oz wine doesn't last long enough to get warm.

Yes they are cool, functional and great for everyday drinking! Who cares about a few smudges, as far as heat, just drink fast! E

The classic Libbey Gibraltar rocks glass. Works for everything.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I can't say I hold a glass long enough, nor let wine sit in the glass long enough to allow my hand to warm up the wine at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 29palms View Post
    This is my idea of a stemless wine glass. At 6oz wine doesn't last long enough to get warm.

Cheap "Burgundy" in a rocks glass brings back many fond memories.

Seriously, I have the biggest grin on my face right now..........

I used to sit around drinking retsina with Greeks in these. Chianti with some Italians and Lord knows what with an Armenian friend. When I have Greek Easter they're what we use for old times sake.

We use them but only because they fit in the dishwasher. My dislike stems (can't resist) from the fact that they end up with fingerprints all over the bowl. My rule is if the bottle costs more than 20 it getting poured into a stemmed glass.