Tips on Sakai made knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you also would want a gyuto you can't go wrong with a Kono if you want a very good laser. Get a semi stainless HD2 or SLD (GS) series.

Also be on the lookout for Sakai Yusuke and Sakai Ichimonji.

If you get a chance stop by Inotada in Osaka

Address3-14-1 Nonoue Habikino-City Osaka 583-0871 [email protected]p masterTomohito Iida

i dont know if you guys realize that many of the craftsmen are not set up to deal with customers... wholesalers and vendors are different (like konosuke, etc.), but the actual craftsmen rarely have workshops set up to deal with customers/guests.

Does konosuke even have a store front anymore? I thought I read somewhere they don't, it's now just an office for them.

Jon is absolutely right. Most of these makers don't have shops as we would think of in the states.

Konosuke does indeed still have a storefront, it's just off of their office. I was there a few weeks ago but I'm not sure how often they have it open.

As of konosuke, the shop front is not usually open so you have to call ahead and let them know you are from overseas (they don't normally deal with local customers at their show room). And the showroom usually has very minimal stock (if any).

The museum has a lot more on offer.

The kitchenware street next to namba station has more stuff imo. You can see some really cool knives there.
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1431574100.783250.jpg

I went to the sakai knife museum and the result was that i did buy Hides yanagiba and deba. I was also allowed to visit his factory.
It was a nice trip and the Hide family was really friendly and helpsome. It was intresting to see his workshop.

I live in osaka and can tell you this much. The knife museum is not well organized. Usually the wives of craftsmen take turns helping out and they usually only push their stuff. They Do not even know where other craftsmen stuff is located when asked or the deferent kind of knives. They only know what their husband does. The staff can't explain anything in English let alone in Japanese.
Some of the stuff they sell there doesn't even come from Sakai.

Jon said it right. Craftsmen are not setup to handle customers or groups. The literally are in there workshop working. Grinders are a bit easier to get into to see what they do if you catch then there and they don't mind. They might have a few blades they can sell as well. Hide-San and his son are usually good about that as you experienced. Just avoid the elder mom, she is not very pleasant if you can understand her.

Forgers usually do not let people in as it gets dangerous with very hot sparks flying around. Reporters and crew that I have taken down in guided tours usually end up with holes in their clothes.

Never go on a weekend if you plan on trying to catch them. Sakai is usually taking off on the weekends.

Don't bother buying a Japanese knife in Japan just check out the authorized vendors list instead

yea its MUCH cheaper. The yanagiba cost about 262$ in japan but in sweden its around 564$. I did save more money on all my knifes i bought than the plane ticket cost.

If you're comparing the price you paid to the price at sakaijapaneseknives dot com, that's not really valid imo. 520 euro for a 240mm swedish stainless gyuto, lmao. That site is crazy overpriced.

Still, you seem to have got a good deal, plus you got to hand-pick your knife in Japan, which you can't really put a value on :biggrin:

Prices in Japan are often cheaper, stones are often significantly cheaper. Takada's ordered by Japanese speaking folks delivered to a Japanese address seem about 30-40% cheaper then when he ships them to the US etc

Back