Golden egg?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet concept. Can't wait to see the finished product and try one.

It's real, heard about it on Marketplace

I'm not sure I appreciate the idea of scrambling an egg inside the shell.. seems like an unnecessary concept.

I think a sous vide golden egg would be pretty darn impressive. Can't imagine why it wouldn't work out good. Would leave the customers guessing lol

the idea of a sous vide egg is that the white and yolk both cook at different temperatures. So you can achieve an entirely cooked white with a raw yolk or any grade of yolk higher. A scrambled egg in a sous vide machine is boring and pointless. Cook one in a pan and tell me about the results that are amazing.

the idea of a sous vide egg is that the white and yolk both cook at different temperatures. So you can achieve an entirely cooked white with a raw yolk or any grade of yolk higher. A scrambled egg in a sous vide machine is boring and pointless. Cook one in a pan and tell me about the results that are amazing.

You can Achieve an entirely cooked white with a raw yolk without sous vide... The point of cooking an egg sous vide for me is that you can achieve a different texture.
Exactly why i think it would be worth experimenting with cooking the "golden egg" sous vide.
It's boring and pointless to make negative comments about something without experimenting with it first.

You can Achieve an entirely cooked white with a raw yolk without sous vide... The point of cooking an egg sous vide for me is that you can achieve a different texture.
Exactly why i think it would be worth experimenting with cooking the "golden egg" sous vide.
It's boring and pointless to make negative comments about something without experimenting with it first.

+1

That's just Brad being Brad. We were all teenagers once...

While I have reservations about another whiz bang gizmo in the kitchen I do plan on playing with some scrambled eggs sous vide this weekend. From Serious Eats:

Gently Cooked Scrambled Eggs.

As Blumenthal spoke about egg proteins and how they coagulate, chef Connaughton carefully squeezed the eggs—which had been cooking in a 163.8°F water bath for 20 minutes—out of their plastic pouches before drizzling them with clarified beurre noiette, and a generous shaving of white truffles. Never in my life have I eaten eggs that were so perfectly cooked: soft, rich, and custard-like with tender, barely set curds. Heston Blumenthal, perfect eggs, and a white truffle all in one room together? If only my wife had been there, I could have died right then, a happy man.

I think some of the question is, "Do I need to spend that much money (and store another kitchen gadget)? Is it worth it?"

It's a bit hard to say that it IS worth it without trying.

I'm intrigued by the idea of a golden egg. But I'm unsure whether it's something that would be interesting to try (a "gimmick" so I'd soon lose interest, or something I'd make again and again. Hard to say whether it's worth $24 before trying one . . .

weird.

i like my scrambled eggs light and fluffy. i add salt and a tad of extra fat to make it happen.

i wonder how dense an egg scrambled in the shell would be..i'm gonna try that towel thing to experiment.

This entire thread reminds me if a recent one titled "the rise of egotarian cuisine"...

Back