Quantcast
Recycling waste grit
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recycling waste grit

Question Recycling waste grit

I have been pouring it away then inspired I think from somewhere instead of cleaning out the bottom of the bucket of waste grit from sharpening I thought I would have a go at using it to clean knives prior and in the case of carbon steel knives after sharpening I have in the past used Ajax and a cork to clean the blade but maybe I can collect it and use this grit instead of pouring it down the drain.
    Has anyone done this ? If so what is the most practical way to collect enough to apply to a knife at the moment I have some sludge drink in the bottom of the bucket . Should I collect it onto a damp cloth next session or just try to bang out the grit from the bucket onto a work top when it is dry?
    I am sure the grit will be less abrasive to the steel and should leave a better finish than Ajax powder.

I was wondering whether I should store the grit from my Gesshin 400 stone for the purpose of blade finishing (hand rubbing). But I have not done that yet.

My only concern would be a mix of different grits in the mix and leaving uneven scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by jared08 View Post
    My only concern would be a mix of different grits in the mix and leaving uneven scratches.
    I think that's the point. It would be like a natural stone powder with varying grits canceling each other out leaving a kasumi finish. Possibly.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Check out this very topic called Gritbox® by legendary bieniek http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh.../1832-Gritbox®

I know a pro sharpener who balls up the red shop rags he uses to clean blades while sharpening. They make great blade polishers/rust removers.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll be trying it in the near future.

I have a towel between my stone holder and "sink bridge". This thing has been collecting grit for years.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    I have a towel between my stone holder and "sink bridge". This thing has been collecting grit for years.
    I have the same thing...I think. My 'sink bridge' is pressure treated 2 x 6 with a couple of nails to keep my stone holder from moving. (Might catch some flak for this, but I like the Suehiro deluxe). I put old towels that don't make the cut anymore for cooking under the holder to catch the grit. Never used the grit for anything...just do this to keep it out of the pipes and septic. Idea of using it as a kasumi polish is intriguing.

Thanks for the link its much better than stuffing it down the drain.

+ Reply to Thread