Recycling waste grit

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Barr

Reaction score
I have been pouring it away then inspired I think from somewhere instead of cleaning out the bottom of the bucket of waste grit from sharpening I thought I would have a go at using it to clean knives prior and in the case of carbon steel knives after sharpening I have in the past used Ajax and a cork to clean the blade but maybe I can collect it and use this grit instead of pouring it down the drain.
Has anyone done this ? If so what is the most practical way to collect enough to apply to a knife at the moment I have some sludge drink in the bottom of the bucket . Should I collect it onto a damp cloth next session or just try to bang out the grit from the bucket onto a work top when it is dry?
I am sure the grit will be less abrasive to the steel and should leave a better finish than Ajax powder.

I was wondering whether I should store the grit from my Gesshin 400 stone for the purpose of blade finishing (hand rubbing). But I have not done that yet.

My only concern would be a mix of different grits in the mix and leaving uneven scratches.

My only concern would be a mix of different grits in the mix and leaving uneven scratches.

I think that's the point. It would be like a natural stone powder with varying grits canceling each other out leaving a kasumi finish. Possibly.

I know a pro sharpener who balls up the red shop rags he uses to clean blades while sharpening. They make great blade polishers/rust removers.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll be trying it in the near future.

I have a towel between my stone holder and "sink bridge". This thing has been collecting grit for years.

I have a towel between my stone holder and "sink bridge". This thing has been collecting grit for years.

I have the same thing...I think. My 'sink bridge' is pressure treated 2 x 6 with a couple of nails to keep my stone holder from moving. (Might catch some flak for this, but I like the Suehiro deluxe). I put old towels that don't make the cut anymore for cooking under the holder to catch the grit. Never used the grit for anything...just do this to keep it out of the pipes and septic. Idea of using it as a kasumi polish is intriguing.

Thanks for the link its much better than stuffing it down the drain.

I have 2 tubs...
a) a mixture of all grits ranging from 400 grit above
b) mixture of above 2000 to 10,000 grit

I apply them with sandpaper of 600 grit for the kasumi finish adn general cleaning. For finer finisihing I apply it with 2000 grit sandpaper. UNfortunately, teh SS Naniwa mud does not leave a dark kasumi haze. LIght grey only.

I use 600 grit sandpaper with mud of the blade face of single bevel knife.

have fun.. rgds d

I certainly like the idea of tubs for the grit I regret the amount I have poured away I used to put it down the sink until I blocked a pipe that took me a couple of hours to unblock now I empty the bucket down the WC and now I am not sluicing the bucket out so I am collecting a sludge at the bottom of the bucket . Depressing to think of the kilo or so of grit down the drain although I try to minimise flattening the stones now and try to manage the stone use so it remains reasonable flat by sharpening on the high spots I just use the stone flatterner to take the corners off .

Back