suisin inox and special inox?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D3st1n

Reaction score
Does anyone know? What's the difference between suisin (western style) inox and special inox?

steel type, handle type, weight, hardness, etc. How specific do you want to get?

I'm more concern for the steel, because it's going to be a working horse, doesn't mean to abuse the knife. Just try to find the knife that the sharpness last longer and easy to sharp.

FWIW, the Special Inox is noticeably heavier than the Western Inox (a little too heavy for me, but YMMV), and a bit handle heavy. If I remember right, the Special Inox did have better fit & finish though.

The special inox will hold an edge longer and resist chipping better, but is heavier and more difficult to sharpen... the inox western will sharpen more easily and is a bit lighter.

Thanks for the information, then how about inox wa-version, are they still the steel with the special inox? So far I been using IH yanagi for work in sushi bar, actually I like it alot, just looking for sujihiki. I don't know which one should I take for my next sujihiki. ... any suggestions? Thank you. Best regards.

nope... thats a different steel again... the inox honyaki is harder, sharpens more easily, takes a better edge, and holds it longer than the aforementioned... but the aforementioned are tougher and more durable (less chippy). Also, the inox honyaki has better fit and finish, a thinner grind, and is much lighter.

As far as suggestions go, i sell a lot of these things, so its better if i leave that part to other people.

For your suji - do you want a Wa handle or Western? If you like the IH (and I certainly do) you might also consider the Gesshin Ginga stainless, a little less expensive than the Suisin but also very nice. Available in both.

When I was shopping my first Japanese knife, (I was looking for stainless Gyuto and Suisin IH was on short list) users here suggested I call Jon at JKI. I did and it was time well spent. I've also contacted Korin in the past (email or pm to Mari seems to work best there) with questions about Inox and Special Inox and found them very helpful. Suggest you do the same. Good luck with your search.

The special inox will hold an edge longer and resist chipping better, but is heavier and more difficult to sharpen... the inox western will sharpen more easily and is a bit lighter.

+1 Thats exactly it.

Both have their benefits, and it depends on what you're looking for. The Suisin Inox gets razor sharp really easily, but the Special Inox will keep its edge for longer.

Just so you know, the Suisin Special Inox will be Korin Special Inox. We are selling the last batch of the Suisin labeled ones and replacing them. We just changed the name, because the orange handle one is Korin Special Inox and it was a collaboration knife between Suisin's founder and Korin's sharpener. It is the same exact knife though.

Thanks to Jon and Mari for explain everything up. Best regards.

Back