Quantcast
Vintage Sky Line knife refurb

Thread: Vintage Sky Line knife refurb

Vintage Sky Line knife refurb

I found an old Sky Line knife down the back of a kitchen unit that I ripped out in a house I am refurbishing, I believe they were made by Prestige.
    Anyway I decided to use it as practice knife for a refurb, the idea was to clean it up and do a re-handle, but on closer inspection the edge had a vertical crack in it about 15mm long, as the crack was 3/4 of the way along the blade I decided to re-profile it, it has turned into Kiritsuke style petty/mini gyuto thing
    So far it has been shaped and rough sanded, used a Dremel to shape it and hand sanded everything, I put a quick edge on it and actually isn't too bad, good fun with tomatoes, even with no handle
    Good fun so far, will leave it with a higher grit finish and going to shape the tang and put a Wa handle on it soon hopefully.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Looks good Warren. How old do you think it is?
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    Looks good Warren. How old do you think it is?
    I would say it is probably 1960's-70's, it was my grandma's so thought it would be nice to do something with it, just a shame it had a crack in it

First one I've seen, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    First one I've seen, thanks for sharing.
    Will probably be the last as well Don't think they were great knives, no idea what the steel is and it was a bit too flexible as it was originally so now I have shortened it quite a bit it has stiffened up and seems a lot better, takes a good edge though