First real gyuto, recommendations please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delnatha

Reaction score
This is very similar to a lot of other similar posts I have read here but everybody is a little bit different which is why you have this form to fill out I suppose. Anyway, I am looking for recommendations.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Gyuto

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) No. I am certainly open to carbon or clad. I would like to try something different than the shuns and globals I currently own.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? Entry level. Max of about $150. I could always go a bit more if there was a really good reason to.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Slicing vegetables and boneless meats primarily

What knife, if any, are you replacing? I own some victorinox, shun, global. This forum has made me yearn for something more.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Finger point

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Rocking, slicing, drawing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) I want something which can take a sharp edge.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Ideally I want something which stands out and looks more unique than the average kitchen knife but it’s not really that important.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? I’m a big guy at 6’4” with big hands so a large handle is helpful

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? I’m entry level and I am still learning so something a little forgiving is probably needed

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Ideally a long time but I don’t use it that much and a sharpening every few weeks is not a problem

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Wood.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) I’m still learning but I have started.

First of all - welcome to the forum!

One general onto - you may also consider getting a used knife - you can then get more for your money and will probably have less loss of value if you decide to sell.

Now onto the the knife - you will get ton of advice. My personal pick would either be something from Jon @ JKI (http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com) or the Itinomonn Kurouchi from Maksim @ JNS (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com). Jon has large repertoire and he really know what he sells - drop him an email. The itinomonn from Maksim is a carbon knife, but it seems to be very good value for the money. I have yet to hear a negative comment about Itinomonn knives when it comes to performance.

Both Jon and Maksim are vendors here and highly regarded (also my personal experience was excellent)

Beyond that I would look at Yoshikane with SKD steel (core) - maybe you could find used in your budge. It takes and hold amazing edge and is semi-stainless (clad with stainless). I have petty from Yoshikane and it really is great.

Have fun :)

EDIT: and do browse this forum - this type of question pups regularly - you may find a lot of information around here (google does batter job than the search engine as implemented here)

First, thank you for the advice. I will certainly consider a used knife in good condition if it is something I really want.

I will shoot Jon an email and see what he says. He seems to come very highly recommended around here. The Itinomonn Kurouchi and Yoshikanes look nice but are a little bit above my budget. I can always splurge or look for used. I also like the Gesshin Ginga but it is out of stock and also a little bit above my price range as well.

If anybody else has some advice or suggestions, please let me know. Otherwise, I will continue to lurk here and peruse similar requests.

Back