Flat top cleaning

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I assume those who use them scrape them every day. How often do you clean them? When you clean them, do you clean to the point of needing to re-season?

Clean at the end of every shift. Oil top & scrub with Griddle stone, wipe clean and then screen top to a polish, wipe top with oil + empty grease trap.
Rinse-Wash-Repeat after every shift.

my old crew used to get that flat top going and dump a gallon of white vinegar on it and scrape it down. season it and then dump a box of salt on it and cook it for 15 minutes. they would then scrape the salt off and wipe it all down with a oil soaked cloth and you were good to go. smooth as glass. Make sure you scrape the salt off into a metal container and don't get it on you. half molten salt sticks to everything and melts everything also.

I'll second the scotch brite, it makes flat top life much easier

we always use a grill brick and oil between services.

all of the above work for me. personally, i dont see the need for a well polished flat top. many cooks obsess over that stuff, and i dont it matters much really.

Vinegar works great.

Normally put some ice to cool it a tad

Then vinegar

Then water until it's shiny that's it

Letting a bucket of ice melt and boil, then scraping off for basic cleaning, then a lemon juice scrub if it was getting off color.

Ice can warp your surface.

Never had an issue only drops temp a little- same as filing it up with product straight out of a cooler no?

Couldn't put enough ice to damage it I don't think

We never used more ice than would melt in about a second. It was usually added somewhat gradually, though to be fair there wasn't enough time to see long term effects while I was there

I've definitely seen (and heard) a flattop warp from pouring ice water on it to clean it. That being said it was about two gallons dumped at once by an extremely high cook at a not so good restaurant.

Back