Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese style curry

Japanese style curry

I lived in Japan in 1984-85 and ate a lot of simple foods that were easy to prepare. We bought pre-mixed curry in a box and fixed it with meat and vegetables.

I've been looking for a curry powder that matches the taste of the Japanese curry but all of the ones I try are more on the Indian or Thai style. Please help with spices and cooking.

Hoss

Devin, What about this one? The garam will still have Cumin in it though?

For those that have never had Japanese curry, this dish is chock full of big tender chunks of meat and potatoes, all covered in a slightly sweet sauce that’s redolent of caramelized onions, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and nutmeg.

http://norecipes.com/karei-raisu-japanese-curry-rice/
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    I lived in Japan in 1984-85 and ate a lot of simple foods that were easy to prepare. We bought pre-mixed curry in a box and fixed it with meat and vegetables.

I've been looking for a curry powder that matches the taste of the Japanese curry but all of the ones I try are more on the Indian or Thai style. Please help with spices and cooking.

Hoss
    i am almost positive the ones you find in the curry donburi is made from a curry that comes in block form. you melt it into your cooked food. i have some. there are two popular brands that they use.

S&B golden curry roux mix. !! email me if you cant find any. we have it EVERYWHERE here..

oh..you lived in Japan?!! the stuff i suggested might be what us hacks in the USA uses..

Japanese home cooks usually use the curry roux.

I like the House blend. I usually add fresh apple sauce and apple cubes (crunchy and sweet apples like gala or honey crisp work the best). I also put in ketchup and tonkatsu sauce. I know some people swear by chocolate, but its not for me.

The S&B curry blocks are what you want. No place out here where you cannot get that, big staple in Hawaii... If you don't find it locally, you can order it from Amazon. Comes in mild, medium and spicy (which I find to be on the mild side...). Don't forget to add veggies to the curry, they are good for you

Stefan

P.S. Mari was quicker I like applesauce or apples in there also. Chocolate sounds weird, would that be dark chocolate?

The curry blocks are what they use in Japan (and Korea) as well, not just in the lazy West.

Around here, most Vietnamese and Chinese grocery stores will have a range of Japanese/Korean stuff, and usually have the curry blocks. Korean grocery stores will have it. I assume our Japanese ones have it as well, but we have far fewer of those.

The ancestor of Japanese curry is the old-style non-Indian English curry, meat and veges with a curry powder flavoured gravy.

I use the curry blocks and love them. They don't seem to be any different than the ones in Japan. I was hoping to find a powder that was close so that I could make my own roux.

Hoss

Hoss, The S&B and House brand blocks are pretty much standard and are available in mild, medium, hot and something called "Vermont style" Everyone has their own little variations; we usually add a bit of S&B curry powder and a ripe banana.
    There is a commercial product that isn't in block form. P/M me your address, I'll send you some to play around with.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Stick with the s&b; I am Korean btw. I like to mix 3 parts light 1 park dark curry blocks. Deglaze with Kirin beer and use fresh chicken stock, lots of butter is good.