Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese Cast Iron Kettle (Tetsubin)

Phalanx - We generally play nice here. I find it a refreshing break from most internet forums.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

If you get a good deal on a tetsubin, a cheap way to check you're in the clear is to boil water in it for a long while and get it tested by a lab that tests well water. I get my spring water tested for $5 once a year.

Datawise, I can't specifically endorse any price limits or origins of tetsubin that are generally safe. If contamination is a common issue, testing is an easy way to play it safe by getting substantive data.

Sound reasonable?

I just use a stainless kettle to boil water for tea, though. Even a cheap iron pot, though striking, is more than I want to spend on boiling water.

Agree. Mari have been here a while and his reputation is gold. I don't really think he will risk it for a teapot. After the scare we had a few years ago with lead paint in children toys I would be careful of stuff coming out of china in general.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    Phalanx - We generally play nice here. I find it a refreshing break from most internet forums.
    +1

and also -sorry rami, but Mari is a female!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Oops. I am so sorry Mari, I haven't talked to you directly so didn't know. :embarrassed: