Quantcast
Another Lamb Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Lamb Question

Another Lamb Question

I'm going to prepare a butterflied leg of lamb for Mom's day. It's one of mom's favorites but my stepfather consistently under or over cooks it. I plan on doing the SV for precise temp and finishing on grill. The SV part is new to me

I've bought the AU boneless leg at Rest Depot. Butterflied it. "Fell" side looks pretty thick. To grill I would cross it and grill mostly fell side down. Trim or remove for SV?

Want to put a marinade, olive oil, rosemary, garlic maybe a little mustard on it prior to bagging. Plan to run this thru VMix first so no pieces parts in marinade. OK so far?

Plan to tie the leg together. Don't know that I need to do so? Bag the marinaded lamb 2nite or in morning. Keep cool. Transport product to Mom's, take the Anova and Cambro. (Taking the 112 ain't gonna happen).

SV. I would normally look for a pull temp of 130F from grill. MC suggests SV 135 for med rare. Keller (Under Pressure) takes a SV loin to 140F. I'm thinking SV at 130 for for a couple hours then sear on grill, rest.

Comments/advice/critique/bad jokes welcome.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

I wouldn't tie mine, but I think your spot on. I'd just sear all the individual pieces after sous vide.

You know SAMs has boneless legs of lamb from NZ that I open up, marinate and then grill.....but since I have just gotten a sous vide I have been wondering about this.....this should be interesting.

Why SV at all? After you open it up and remove the bone you can even out the thickness then grill as you would a thick cut of steak.

Quote Originally Posted by 29palms View Post
    Why SV at all? After you open it up and remove the bone you can even out the thickness then grill as you would a thick cut of steak.
    Cuz it's fun

I'm doing it to nail the temp. I've grilled many and in my experience lamb has a very small window of opportunity temp wise. Undertemp a couple degrees and it looks raw and is a bloody mess. Overtemp a couple and it tastes like a nasty shoe. It's now tied up and marinating in a SV bag and getting cold. Will seal it in a couple min. In the bath Sun. Will untie before I sear it.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Thanks Neal. I thought I remembered such a thread but was looking here instead of there.

Big kudos to the chamber sealer on this one. I know most of the tricks to get best use out of a strip sealer but this was so easy.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Dinner has been had, Mom was happy, Stepfather was doing dishes last time I saw him.

Set the SV to 133 and let it go for three hours. Carmalized some red onion, red and yellow bell peppers to serve lamb on. Reduced pomegranate juice, balsamic vin for sauce. Set lamb aside while guests arrived, chatted, etc. Quick blanch of asparagus and set it aside. Fired up grill to sear lamb and lightly char asparagus.

Temp was good, lamb was moist and flavorful. May have seared it a little longer than ideal. Next time will trim some of the fat side.

Before showing that it happened I'll invoke the crappy cell phone defense.

The Anova doing it's thing, Start of peppers and onions, Sauce is ready - but couple hours early, Lamb is off and resting, Asp on, And off to the races. Niece and nephew put away the cell phones and did all the running. Reminded that who is at table is more important than what's on the table. But damn I hate those plates.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Those plates are ugly, but what's on them looks pretty damn good. I'd try doing a Harissa marinade next time, and a little preserved lemon with the asparagus. Some cherry wood on the grill might not be a bad idea either...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky