Sous Vide Another Lamb Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
I'm going to prepare a butterflied leg of lamb for Mom's day. It's one of mom's favorites but my stepfather consistently under or over cooks it. I plan on doing the SV for precise temp and finishing on grill. The SV part is new to me

I've bought the AU boneless leg at Rest Depot. Butterflied it. "Fell" side looks pretty thick. To grill I would cross it and grill mostly fell side down. Trim or remove for SV?

Want to put a marinade, olive oil, rosemary, garlic maybe a little mustard on it prior to bagging. Plan to run this thru VMix first so no pieces parts in marinade. OK so far?

Plan to tie the leg together. Don't know that I need to do so? Bag the marinaded lamb 2nite or in morning. Keep cool. Transport product to Mom's, take the Anova and Cambro. (Taking the 112 ain't gonna happen).

SV. I would normally look for a pull temp of 130F from grill. MC suggests SV 135 for med rare. Keller (Under Pressure) takes a SV loin to 140F. I'm thinking SV at 130 for for a couple hours then sear on grill, rest.

Comments/advice/critique/bad jokes welcome.

I wouldn't tie mine, but I think your spot on. I'd just sear all the individual pieces after sous vide.

You know SAMs has boneless legs of lamb from NZ that I open up, marinate and then grill.....but since I have just gotten a sous vide I have been wondering about this.....this should be interesting.

Why SV at all? After you open it up and remove the bone you can even out the thickness then grill as you would a thick cut of steak.

I'm doing it to nail the temp. I've grilled many and in my experience lamb has a very small window of opportunity temp wise. Undertemp a couple degrees and it looks raw and is a bloody mess. Overtemp a couple and it tastes like a nasty shoe. It's now tied up and marinating in a SV bag and getting cold. Will seal it in a couple min. In the bath Sun. Will untie before I sear it.

Thanks Neal. I thought I remembered such a thread but was looking here instead of there.

Big kudos to the chamber sealer on this one. I know most of the tricks to get best use out of a strip sealer but this was so easy.

Dinner has been had, Mom was happy, Stepfather was doing dishes last time I saw him.

Set the SV to 133 and let it go for three hours. Carmalized some red onion, red and yellow bell peppers to serve lamb on. Reduced pomegranate juice, balsamic vin for sauce. Set lamb aside while guests arrived, chatted, etc. Quick blanch of asparagus and set it aside. Fired up grill to sear lamb and lightly char asparagus.

Temp was good, lamb was moist and flavorful. May have seared it a little longer than ideal. Next time will trim some of the fat side.

Before showing that it happened I'll invoke the crappy cell phone defense.

The Anova doing it's thing, Start of peppers and onions, Sauce is ready - but couple hours early, Lamb is off and resting, Asp on, And off to the races. Niece and nephew put away the cell phones and did all the running. Reminded that who is at table is more important than what's on the table. But damn I hate those plates.

photo(2).jpg

photo(1).jpg

2014-05-11 14.29.29.jpg

2014-05-11 12.46.36.jpg

2014-05-11 12.48.44.jpg

2014-05-11 12.46.21.jpg

Those plates are ugly, but what's on them looks pretty damn good. I'd try doing a Harissa marinade next time, and a little preserved lemon with the asparagus. Some cherry wood on the grill might not be a bad idea either...

Why SV at all? After you open it up and remove the bone you can even out the thickness then grill as you would a thick cut of steak.

One of the great things about SV is that the meat holds at perfect temp for as long as you need it to without drying out. Makes timing courses vastly easier.

I like your style Dave! Looks beautiful. I made this Lamb dish for mom:

Mixiote de Borrego en Mole Coloradito: Lamb Shank in an Oaxacan Red Mole Sauce

Ingredients
For the mole sauce:
6 plum tomatoes, roasted in a 375 degree oven until blackened
2 garlic cloves, roasted
Water, for consistency
3 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black peppercorns, toasted
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, toasted (Mexican preferred)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, toasted
8 ancho chiles
6 guajillo chiles
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 ounce Mexican chocolate
1/2 cup sugar
For the lamb shanks:
4 medium to large lamb foreshanks
Salt
1/4 cup canola oil, for searing
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 medium yellow onion chopped
4 (12-inch) square banana leaves (available in the frozen section of Mexican markets)

Directions

To prepare the mole sauce: In a blender or food processor, blend tomatoes and garlic cloves, adding water if necessary. Strain and set aside. In a spice grinder pulverize the sesame seeds, peppercorns, oregano and cinnamon; set aside.

Make a lengthwise cut on 1 side of each ancho and guajillo chile and remove seeds. Put chiles in a bowl and cover with boiling water, letting soak for 20 minutes or until soft. Place chiles and soaking water in a blender. Puree, strain and set aside. In a medium stockpot, heat 3 tablespoons of canola oil. Add the dried spices stirring continuously. Add the two purees and bring to a boil. Add the chocolate, sugar, and salt to taste; let simmer for about 20 minutes.

To prepare the lamb shanks: Season the lamb shanks with salt and in a hot skillet sear shanks in oil on all sides. In a bowl, dip each shank in mole sauce, sprinkle with some of the vinegar, chopped onion and salt, then wrap in a banana leaf and then in aluminum foil. Place shanks in a roasting pan and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or until the meat is falling off the bone. Place shank on a plate and top with additional warm mole sauce.

Back