Looking for 180 mm stainless petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for a good 180 mm stainless petty.

So I thought...

Gesshin Ginga... sold out
Konusuke HD2... sold out
Konosuke HH... cannot find it
Suisin Inox Honyaki... ok, available, but I've got a Suisin Inox honyaki gyuto and would like to try something else

Any alternatives?

Jns has an Itionomonn in stainless clad and v2 core. I have tried it and I also own the gyuto (same steel) wich is not very reactive in the core steel at all, IMO. I'm a home cook but I've cut a fair amount of acidic food with it. I wonder if that is "stainless enough" :)) By the way it is also about half prize of the Kato.
- Kim

Can anyone tell me what the handle of the Western Ginga's (the only one in stock for 180 mm) is made of?

Nice idea Ben, but I've never tried an asymmetric knife (other than an asymmetric grind). It's not even that expensive, but a bit expensive just to try out. Do you happen to know any place in Holland, Germany or Belgium where they sell similar knives that are asymmetric? Don't have to be really classy knives, but just to try out.

Nice idea Ben, but I've never tried an asymmetric knife (other than an asymmetric grind). It's not even that expensive, but a bit expensive just to try out. Do you happen to know any place in Holland, Germany or Belgium where they sell similar knives that are asymmetric? Don't have to be really classy knives, but just to try out.
Do you happen to be left-handed?

Didn't you own a Fujiwara FKH 270mm gyuto??
That one is at least as asymmetric as any Misono, and these have a slight convexing towards the edge on the left side. For most people no steering issues to be expected. With the Fujiwara though, expect an unadequate edge OOTB.

Ben, yes, I did own a Fujiwara (240 mm). I sold it, but I'm sure it was symmetric. I'm right handed, by the way.

Anton, thanks. But who is Ashi Hamono? The maker of Konosuke's?

:O That's what I ment...

I was wondering. Although both have the name Ginga, the Japanese characters on the Ginga on Ashi's site seem to be different from those on the JKI site.

Ben, yes, I did own a Fujiwara (240 mm). I sold it, but I'm sure it was symmetric. I'm right handed, by the way.
Nothing symmetric about the Fujiwara. The edge is clearly off-centered to the left. Right face convexed, left one basically flat. Unpredictable OOTB edge, I must say.

Back