Knife (or two) for cooking on a vacation?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being on a vacation right now (Italy, Lago di Garda) and in a need to cook about once a day (we have 5 months old daughter so we got an apartment) I quickly started to think that I would be great to have 1 or 2 decent kitchen knives along, since as usually the stuff that I found in the drawer is nothing to write home about and my Mora 2000 is a very nice outdoor knife, but poor for kitchen tasks because of the quasi-scandi grind (the steel is great though). And I expect to go for similar vacations in the future (around Europe).

So - I am thinking what would be a good choice - should be reasonably priced and get the job (simpler dishes mostly based on vegetables, salads, etc.) done. What would you take? A longer petty, santoku, funayuki, or ...?

Right now I am thinking of a small pairing knife (80 - 100 mm) and a 150 - 165mm wider (40mm+) blade. Probably stainless or stainless clad, wa handles, up to 200€ (or $) per knife. These should be good enough to be used at home too - I would not get knives that would only get used 2 weeks a year (give or take).

I am just trying do do some brainstorming, not necessarily to pin down particular knifes/makers.

And I would love to hear your opinions :)

Side note: I am considering to get a Carter funayuki in 160 - 180 mm range, but would probably hesitate to travel around with knife worth some 500€. Or is that a wrong logic?

First thing I will take it with me if I go on vacation is my gesshin uraku 150 mm stainless petty , comes with a saya too, you don't have to worry about clumsy box or wrapping it with tea towels etc. ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1399942877.085939.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

I take a suisin special inox western deba. Stout, stainless, not too long or short, can double as a gyuto with pretty good results while still working well on fish which would be a requirement for me on vacation.

I would think you would find plenty of adequate Italian made knives for short term vacation use where you are without worrying about exotic Japanese stuff. The better Italian lines certainly match anything coming out of France or Germany.

No. The Italians are used to very, very soft stainless, 420 like, Rc 52 stuff, and steel like crazy. I would leave my gyutos at home and take my Hiromoto 190 santoku and a stainless petty. Or buy a Victorinox and a smooth steeling rod.

For cooking in a vacation apartment, I take 1 or 2 knives (last 3 times: my wife's preferred santoku and a cheap Chinese cleaver, Shun santoku, Shun santoku and Wusthof chef's knife). Just our regular everyday knives, or something I want to try out. And a cutting board, in case their's are all glass. One or two weeks, no need to bring anything for sharpening.

A knife with a saya or sheath is handy to take with you on holiday. We always take my girlfriends small santoku (Global, around 15 cm). I never use it at home, but perfect for holidays. I've taken an 18 cm petty too, in the past. Worked great, too.

If i need to travel, Sugimoto 210mm wa gyuto, the ultimate budget laser. Cardboard saya.

I think a santoku + small folder like Opinel #8 will fit the bill for vacation purposes.

First thing I will take it with me if I go on vacation is my gesshin uraku 150 mm stainless petty , comes with a saya too, you don't have to worry about clumsy box or wrapping it with tea towels etc. View attachment 23479

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

If I take one knife I take a DT petty similar to yours with a saya (middle knife). It is good enough for most things IMO. With that said I have three travel knives, and I take different ones or all depending upon my type of travel.One is a Rodrique sheep's foot parer. The flat profile makes it a small capable chopper if needed. The second (topeis a Fowler mini-gyuto with leather sheath. It is a joy to use really, but I only take that when I know I will have a kitchen handy and want to do quite a bit of cooking -- like a vacation rental.

One thing to consider is the handle material. My Rodrigue parer wood cracked and now the knife needs new scales. Don't go with some really figured wood IMO -- keep it simple. I think my parer just gave out with all the different climatic/humidity changes. It has been to Morocco, The Netherlands, The Virgin Islands, Lake Superior, Dallas, Maine, Central California and several other places -- not to mention the normal shrinkage that comes with Minnesota winters. My fowler has micarta, which I like a lot.

k.

Attachments

• travel_knives.jpg
    travel_knives.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 46
Usually just bring my 210 suisin inox western gyuto and a victorinox parer for knives and usually bring some tools and a small cutting board just in case

We're going to the beach for a week soon, staying in a rental house. I'm taking an inexpensive Chinese cleaver (carbon from wokshop.com) and an Opinel #8 in carbon. I may wish the Opinel were stainless, because we'll probably be cutting a lot of limes for margaritas, but patina, patina. And a Bester 1200. Actually, my Dad is bringing the cleaver, since I leave it at my parents', and I think it needs some sharpening. I'll probably see what I can do with whatever cheap stainless they have at the house, while I'm at it...

Some interesting ideas, thank you.

First concerning Italian knives - for this vacation I will get through with the Mora. After all - we are in a small city with zero chance to buy a knife and I would not waste the time trying to find a knife shop.

I think 210 blade would be too long on small cutting boards. Even if I would take my own board along (good idea, actually) - I would probably take a smaller one (possibly plastic). I would expect blade length of around 165 to do the job.

It also seems that many of you prefer to have higher blade along (santoku or shorter gyuto).

Very good point about the handle material - indeed it should either be simple (=cheap to replace) or better yet - resistant to humidity and temperature variations.

Do you guys find the need for a pairing knife? I have been at places where I wanted to peel potatoes and there was no peeler. Doing it with a large knife was not particularly enjoyable.

I pack a sharp inexpensive knife and pairing knife.
Last dinner I cooked for guests in Germany, I gave them the knife as a momento.
I heard that our guest was taking cooking classes and using the knife I gifted.
Traveling by plane, I bring what I can leave behind.

It can be fun adapting and over-coming. I recall using a rock to flatten some veal one time.
Have a great time, and enjoy the Italian Cuisine.

Speaking of Mora they have kitchen knives too. And not too expensive - they were on sale for 15 euro where I live 21 and 26 cm. Hardened to 58. So you could buy one and throw it afterwards.

Btw, I also travel with a pair of tongs, a smallish cutting board, a microplane, my thermopen, and a travel sized spice collection.

k.

I guess I would not want to go as far as 'throw away' knives.

That travel sized spice collection sounds like a good idea.

I am indeed aware of the Itinomonn bunka - I am just wondering whether it is not a bit on the large side and it is not stainless clad - that is not really what I am after. But yes - if Maksim would bring some more models from Itinomonn - I would not hesitate :) From the Itinomonn the knife that gets my attention now is the 165mm wa kasumi petty. Now imagine that with 40mm width at the heel and getting gradually thinner towards the tip - yes - a funayuki :) (@Maksim - sorry for ranting in about every thread about this)

That spice pack looks great.

I'd add to the recommendation of a santoku; it is the first knife for me that is packed when going away. Short enough for any holiday rental board, wide enough to carry food from poorly designed work surface to stove and stainless adds to the holiday relaxation.

Mine is a 180mm first release wusty santoku which seems a lot thinner than the current ones and made with a little more care.

Back