looking for a smaller (or not)second knife! (carbon this time)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexG

Reaction score
Hello!

I bought a Gesshin Uraku gyoto 240mm SS that I love to death! Everyone thinks I paid 300+ dollar as it cuts like a dream and obliterates any global, miyabi people have in their kitchen!

I am looking for a carbon knife, either a petty or a nakiri/chinese cleaver. I am looking for a "cheap" one in the MAX 60-70 range. Was thinking Tojiro, Tanaka or Yamashin brand? In white #1-2 or Blue.

I long smaller profile petties ( not high heel, gyuto-like shape)
Preferably 120-135 max 150mm
I break down alot of chicken, cut A LOT of vegetables (for a home cook) so definitely more workhorse-ish.

Thanks so much!

Forgot to mention I really love the wa handle!

Love at first sight! Don't really want to go back!

Also I am a lefty and my girfriend a righty!

As you say you break down a lot of chicken I would get a 150 petty as your second knife not a nakiri or Chinese cleaver . There's really not a lot you can't do with a gyuto and a petty they cover almost all your prep tasks pretty well IMO. I haven't used any wa pettys so I'll let others do the recommending :)

Yeah get a 150mm petty first then maybe later if you still have the itch, a 165-180mm nakiri just to have fun with.

I like the Hiromoto 150mm petty. Just outside of your range but definitely doable. Tanaka is great but even further outside the range. If you like Gesshin, look at the Uraku white petty.

fujiwara carbon and the tanaka blue steel line are probably the 2 best bang for your buck lines if youre not willing to spend much money.

What makes a knife better at breaking down chickens? Thickness, sharpness, ??

Thanks will look for these choices!

Tosho is another canadian company. You may also want to look into JCK; based in japan, but they offer worldwide shipping for $7.

I have found some nice petty, I wasn<t aware of this website.

http://www.paulsfinest.com/Moritaka...ife-150mm-5.9-Aogami-Blue-2-Carbon-Steel.html

http://www.paulsfinest.com/Sakai-Takayuki-Grand-Chef-Japanese-Petty-Utility-Knife-150mm-5.9.html

I prefer the shape of the Sakai.

also, anyone aware of more canadian websites? The shipping makes MUCH MORE SENSE. 7-10$ instead of 25-30$ !!

Thanks!

Paul sells from his place in Montreal.
Tosho, based in Toronto and previously mentioned, and Knifewear from out west both sell online. Which city do you live in? There are other Japanese knife stores that don't sell online. L'Emouleur in Montreal, KNIFE in Toronto, etc.

I have the Sakai GC 150mm petty and I am not too impressed with it. I barely use it for anything anymore, I would go with something else in your place.

P.S. I always though KNIFE in TO sold online, I guess I was mistaken. Also Maxim at JapaneseNaturalStones, based in Europe, has a free WW shipping on order >$200 CAD.

What makes a knife better at breaking down chickens? Thickness, sharpness, ??

Thanks will look for these choices!

For me it's about the nimble profile. If you break down a chicken properly with a petty you should cut around/ along bones and you only ever go through joints/ cartilage . I find the petty profile great for this. Thin or thick petty as long as it's small and agile.

Paul sells from his place in Montreal.
Tosho, based in Toronto and previously mentioned, and Knifewear from out west both sell online. Which city do you live in? There are other Japanese knife stores that don't sell online. L'Emouleur in Montreal, KNIFE in Toronto, etc.

I live in Montreal actually... didn<t know Paul was in Montreal! haha

I only knew about l'Émouleur but by what I saw, only seems to sell big expensive knives with crazy custom handles :D

I'll look through the other ones, do you know any others in Montreal?

Unfortunately I don't think there are any others in Montreal. In Ottawa there's finejapanesekitchenknives, but the selection is a bit limited.

Tosho is another canadian company. You may also want to look into JCK; based in japan, but they offer worldwide shipping for $7.

JCK offers pretty much only western handles in my budget (sub 100) unfortunately. I wanted to order from them :(

I'll drop by L'Émouleur this weekend.

And in all honesty, I'd order again from Jon is it wasn't for the expensive shipping. Best service in town, GREAT knife!

AlexG look at the ridiculously expensive shipping and taxes from US as a blessing. If not for it, I would definitely be poorer and with more steel I would ever need :>

Hahaha! True, only thing slowing me right now is the shipping cost (whish is 50-60% of the actual knife price tag.... :p)

I have the Sakai GC 150mm petty and I am not too impressed with it. I barely use it for anything anymore, I would go with something else in your place.

P.S. I always though KNIFE in TO sold online, I guess I was mistaken. Also Maxim at JapaneseNaturalStones, based in Europe, has a free WW shipping on order >$200 CAD.

Any thoughts about these?!

They look awesome, AS steel, just wonder how thin they are?

http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKIAogamiSuperSeries1.html#KagayakiAogamiSuper

Back