Coming in June

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Here are photos of some wood being shipped to me from Australia.
The wood is Gidgee (Acacia cambageli). This wood is in the same family as Koa (Acacia) but grows in arid conditions so the wood has a density similar to desert Ironwood. The Ringed designation of Ringed Gidgee means it has bold curly figure.
The blocks that are on the way are cut big so they could be used on a big fighter or possibly a matching pair of smaller handle knives.
I will be offering this wood both natural (not chemically stabilized) and some stabilized. These blocks will be priced similar to high grade Ironwood and Koa. So prices should range between $75 to $100 for a 6" x 2&1/2" x 1&1/4" nicely figured block. Plainer pieces will be a little less and exceptional ones a little more.

If you want some of this wood make a post here whether you are interested in natural or stabilized pieces.
Then when the wood is ready I can send a PM letting you know it is ready. This is not a commitment from you, nor me saving pieces. Just a notification when it is ready just in case you want to get some. Some of these harder to find woods go away fast and are difficult to replace.

This is a log portion that was split to see what the figure is like inside.
rg_zpsf82d5b55.jpg

A big pile of blocks coming my way.
rg2_zps5b000b45.jpg

Closeup of a few. These are rough cut but you can still see that there will be great figure.
rg1_zps4db76b6d.jpg

That's a pile of gold.
My favorite wood that smells so nice and looks so good.
I'm sure those lucky guys who get those blocks would be really happy with them.

First class Mark, first class
:thumbsup:

Last time I did not save any of the Gidgee for myself.
I had set some aside but some of the knife makers know where to find me.
A few know where I stash pieces for myself. So when someone has a piece in hand it is difficult for me to say "No, you can't have that one".
This time I will take a couple pieces home and give them to my wife. That way I can't sell them because they are hers.

The stabilized will be a little bit more, right Mark? Or is the stabilizing included in the range of $75-100?

I'm just asking for clarification purposes :) I'm definitely interested in a piece that is stabilized.

Thanks for the heads up that this awesome stuff is coming!

- Steve

There will be about a $10 difference between stabilized and natural.

Thanks for the clarification :)

I'll eagerly await these blocks!

- Steve

Mark, count me in for an unstabilized block with bold figure also, Thanks.

Mark, count me in for an unstabilized block with bold figure also, Thanks.
Some of the forum members might notice that you are from Australia and want Australian wood.
About 25% of the Australian woods I get end up going back to Australia.
Same thing happens with Koa. About 25% or more goes back to Hawaii.

Mark put me down for several unstabilized pieces! Thx

Some of the forum members might notice that you are from Australia and want Australian wood.
About 25% of the Australian woods I get end up going back to Australia.
Same thing happens with Koa. About 25% or more goes back to Hawaii.

Mine will be attached to a knife when it arrives back in Aus.:biggrin:

Since today is tomorrow in Australia, the Gidgee has already been shipped tomorrow.
I am getting a little bit confused but I think this means the wood will arrive a day early.
The wood is coming by air so I am guesstimating it should be here near the end of the month.

I just checked tracking and the wood arrived at Los Angeles today.
Not sure how long it will take to process through customs but it will be here sooner than I thought.

Time for me to start sanding and sorting.
I will start off with sending half for stabilizing and posting the other half in the natural hardwoods section of our web store.
rg002_zps301722bb.jpg

rg003_zpsbe5b413b.jpg

I'd like a figured unstabilized piece of that. Got any two tone like with sap some wood?

Not much sapwood on any of these. But there is still another box on the way.

Back