Kitchen garden knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondack

Reaction score
Now that I'm starting to harvest heirloom leaf lettuce from the back 40 (sq. feet) I am thinking about a knife for harvesting lettuce, herbs, chili peppers, etc. I used my Ealy parer last evening for my first salad greens, which worked quite nicely - but carrying an open blade up and down hill while carrying veggies doesn't seem like the best idea. Any suggestions on a closed blade knife for the job, particularly Japanese? Don't need a heavy duty knife for a field hand. My Laguiole would probably do the trick, but maybe something a tad more wide would be better, plus it's an excuse to get a new knife.

Tosho here in Toronto has some Ohta folding knives. You'll find pics on their Facebook. However, I think these may start at $150+. Opinels on the other hand.. $15?

Japanese folders are expensive if from reputable blade-smith. Besides Opinel, you can consider an all time classics Buck 110.

I use a Mcusta MC-26D for doing mushroom tours which is similar to harvesting. Open the knife and close it 100+ times each Sunday for 6 weeks for the last 6 years one handed and it still puts a smile on my face.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the looks of that A. Wright stag a lot and the Mcusta is nice, but I might just try and be practical and get the Opinel No.8 Garden.

Any hints on sharpening the No8? Cannot work out how to get it on the stones and mine was abused enough to need some serious love.

There's a $25 higonokami japanese folding knife being sold by BWJ on ebay, if that interests you. The only thing is it's 3", so not significantly bigger than the paring knife you were using.

Back