Quantcast
The Dark Room - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Dark Room

I was born in Wetzlar and grew up in Solms, the two main seats of Leitz/Leica, and most of my family has worked for them at some point. That said, the M9 is a bit like a Kramer knife IMHO. Nice to have, but the functionality (and IQ) is not 15x better than that of a similar sized m4/3 Olympus Pen or Panasonic GF1. Or even better, the new Panny G3 that just came out is about the same size and probably the best one, yet, and you get it for around $600 with a kit lens.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I was born in Wetzlar and grew up in Solms, the two main seats of Leitz/Leica, and most of my family has worked for them at some point. That said, the M9 is a bit like a Kramer knife IMHO. Nice to have, but the functionality (and IQ) is not 15x better than that of a similar sized m4/3 Olympus Pen or Panasonic GF1. Or even better, the new Panny G3 that just came out is about the same size and probably the best one, yet, and you get it for around $600 with a kit lens.

Stefan
    You don't get a Leica because it's sensible, you get a Leica because it's a Leica.

I've owned my fair share (off the top of my head 3 M3s, 3 M2s, 2 M4s, M4-2, M4-P and an MP). Great cameras, but it's all the mystique and the intagible aspect of it. I took the same crappy photos with my Leicas that I took with my cheap old film SLRs.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Wow! Are you serious? Thoes are 2 cameras that I always drooled over in my early days of learning photography. Owning that pair is like having an original Shelby Cobra AND a vintage Rolls Royce phantom.
    Did you also sell all of you leica lens? If you still have any they work real nice with a new 4/3 body.... Or leica also makes the digital m9 -which is what I'd buy if I had more money / fewer hobbies.

Having such a strong foundation in film photography you're going to be able to jump way out ahead when you do make the switch to digital. Learning what buttons to push is easy, it's learning the therory and training your eye, and gaining the disciplined approach that takes the real time (and I think that alot of people just never do it in the digital age).

But oh man, once you get the hang of the digital process you're gonna love it! It's so liberating to be able to hit the shutter release without seeing dollar signs and hours in the darkroom tick by.

This is really the golden age of digital: the quality is finally up to 35mm levels, the cost of entry is way down, and the cameras and software are more powerful and user-friendly then ever.

Seriously, whenever you're ready to jump in, just post here or send me a
    PM and I'll walk you through the whole process from click to print.
    If I had the cash I'd own an M9 or even a used M8, but the money just isn't there right now. I've played with 4/3 before but the bodies are too small for my hands and I still don't care the controls. My friends 5dMkII is amazing, but DSLRs are too large for my main style of shooting.

I'm actually really considering a Ricoh GRDIII. I had an original GRD years ago and it was a cool little camera with decent IQ and intuitive controls. Even when I had my Leica I wound up selling every lens but a 35/2 Summicron, so I don't even need interchangable lenses.