Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How important are cutting boards?

Mineral oil my friend. There is also a section on board care at mtm website

thank you for all the answers.
    some very informative posts.
    after the first posts,I would have avoided oak,but the post from icanhaschzbrgr makes sense.
    Here in Germany oak boards are very popular and they are a little bit cheaper compared to other end grain boards.

I have a maple board from MTMWood, and I am very happy with it. Definitely worth spending on a good board.

damn,I wanted to buy an european oak board,but after going through the MTM catalogue,its too tempting to buy such a board,because they are so damn nice.
    so I'll be again way over my budget

Te end grain boards really are a long-term investment. The initial pricing pain fades from memory pretty quick, but the enjoyment of the board lasts indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Te end grain boards really are a long-term investment. The initial pricing pain fades from memory pretty quick, but the enjoyment of the board lasts indefinitely.
    I totally agree and I wouldnt mind beeing over my budget by only few bucks,but I'm moving out and I'm basically over my budget for everything I bought/will buy because I see everything as a longterm investment.
    i.e. in the beginning I spent 25 euro for a Henckels santoku and 80 Euro for a Henckels Knife set.Quickly I realised I need to spend more for good quality so I spent 160 euro (~220$) for 2xHiromoto Knives,50Euro for a good Wooden Knife holder,then 35 euro for a sharpening stone (stone was reduced) and now instead of spending 50 Euros for 2 cutting boards,I'll spend almost 3 times as much.

on the other hand they arent as expensive compared to european made cuttingboards,they look very nice and they are an eyecatcher
    add that up for a whole appartment and you're couple k over your initial budget.

Quote Originally Posted by domgro View Post
    i.e. in the beginning I spent 25 euro for a Henckels santoku and 80 Euro for a Henckels Knife set.Quickly I realised I need to spend more for good quality so I spent 160 euro (~220$) for 2xHiromoto Knives,50Euro for a good Wooden Knife holder,then 35 euro for a sharpening stone (stone was reduced) and now instead of spending 50 Euros for 2 cutting boards,I'll spend almost 3 times as much.

on the other hand they arent as expensive compared to european made cuttingboards,they look very nice and they are an eyecatcher
    add that up for a whole appartment and you're couple k over your initial budget.
    Sounds pretty normal. Stick around here a bit longer and you'll be waaaaaaaaaay beyond just a couple k over

How about Japanese cutting boards like hinoki, gingko, and bakko yanagi?

my fancy end grain board is collecting dust ever since getting a synthetic rubber board (hi-soft). no more annoying maintenance and feels nearly as good, plus it is very gentle on knife edges. also a lot lighter, takes up less space.

Quote Originally Posted by domgro View Post
    I want to buy a cutting board,but there are big price differences.

I've read,that it is important to choose hardwood like oak,maple,walnut aso and that its favourable to choose end grain.

but how impoprtant is it really in maintaining sharpness?
    will there be major differences in edge retaining,when choosing oak vs. bomboo or maple edge grain vs maple end grain?
    yes.

k.

P.s. that is all I can muster at this point.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson