Quantcast
How important are cutting boards? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How important are cutting boards?

The way you cut might also impact (literally) edge longevity. I've got a decent rubber board, but because I never chop hard, I probably could have saved my money and gotten a cheap thick poly board that I could sand down from time to time.

My house mates complained about my larger Boardsmith board. Supposedly, it was taking away counter space where they wanted to cut things. I was a bit baffled, but it seems they found the board too nice to cut on and kept puting crappy boards on top of it. I just gave up and stored it away, but in general, it's an investment that will really make sense. Definitely is worth looking into how to mainain them.

Stefan

Nice! Way to bite the bullet and get yourself set up well for the next few years.

Nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Nice! Way to bite the bullet and get yourself set up well for the next few years.
    At worst I can sell them on ebay at least for the amount I bought them.
    but I hope I will have fun with them for the next years

End grain cutting boards don't have to be crazy expensive.

I found this one at the local TJ Maxx for about 20 bucks. I was so happy I could finally get rid of my poly board and for not much more money. The Mountain Woods board is light so it is easy to wash. Can't say how durable it will be since I've only had it for about 2 months but if it breaks a year or six months down the line, I'll just buy another.

http://www.mountainwoods.com/moreinf...uct_ID/112.htm

I recently picked up a Core Acacia brand end grain board at TJ Maxx for $25. Couldn't find their end grain listed anywhere, so I could not look up reviews. Dave the BoardSMITH says acacia is alright for end grain boards, but it has voids that need to be filled (which can be seen on both of ours).
    http://www.cheftalk.com/t/74564/cutt...ce#post_418731

I sanded mine a bit and loaded it up with mineral oil. We'll see how it lasts.

Yay! for inexpensive end grain cutting boards. I'll have to look into getting mineral oil or whatever needs to be used to maintain a wooden board to make it last longer. Seems to be kinder to knife edges so I'm loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by andur View Post
    Do your end grain boards stay absolutely flat? All my end grain ones are curved after some use, from the constant washing and drying.
    A board shouldn't warp unless you're getting it way too wet. A quick wash with warm soapy water and then dried with a towel is good maintenance. Renewing the finish (mineral oil usually) also helps keep the board from absorbing water.