Quantcast
What should my next knife be? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What should my next knife be?

Quote Originally Posted by GodprefersDiesels View Post
    Just come in here to run me down?
    Go easy smoke breath. PC posed a fair question. If he wanted to run you down he might have asked if you had ever seen a Shun, held a Shun, used a Shun, sharpened a Shun? But he's much too civil for that. As am I.

But I do remember that 10 days ago you only had a pig sticker and were looking for advice on your first kitchen knife. Now you know all about Shuns?

Pls understand I'm not trying to denigrate you in any way (that means piling on in Texas speak). Just having fun.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

To the OP.

Jon at JKI has been recommended and I would certainly concur that his offerings cover a wide spectrum of knives and provide very good value. I saw elsewhere that the Gesshin Ginga is back in stock - thats an excellent choice for a newcomer or anyone else that wants a solid, quality, no frills knife. (A Ginga was my first Japanese knife after a brief flirtation with Shun)

Maxim at JNS also offers a very good, no frills knife with his Intomonn series. A 210 gyuto will set you back 209, a 240 is 10 bucks more. http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...10mm-wa-gyuto/

Other sponsering vendors include Epicurean Edge and Korin in the states and Tosho just to the north.

If you don't have to go new you might save a few bucks with the B/S/T sub-forum. Post what you're looking for and see what comes up.

Hope this helps.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

He also is using a Shun Premier and I suggested a Shun Classic, which has a different handle. I didn't see you suggesting anything. Just come in here to run me down?
    Both have d-handles and a lot of belly. The classic appears to be roughly a less attractive version of the knife the op already owns and does not like. That is, of course, only my opinion and I am aware it may be wrong.

I didn't respond to the op because he did not fill out key parts of the questionnaire and I did not think I could be of any help without that information.

Aldo,

How long is your Shun Premier and could you please describe this other knife you prefer using? (brand and model if possible; otherwise please describe the size, style and shape)
    What is it about the Shun that you don't like and what do you like about this other knife?
    What grips do you use when cutting?
    Would you characterize your knife skills as basic, moderate or advanced? ie How long does it take you to dice an onion?

PS You should consider replacing your bamboo cutting board with something that is not so hard on knife edges.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    Go easy smoke breath. PC posed a fair question. If he wanted to run you down he might have asked if you had ever seen a Shun, held a Shun, used a Shun, sharpened a Shun? But he's much too civil for that. As am I.

But I do remember that 10 days ago you only had a pig sticker and were looking for advice on your first kitchen knife. Now you know all about Shuns?

Pls understand I'm not trying to denigrate you in any way (that means piling on in Texas speak). Just having fun.
    Awesome. He comes in, runs me down when I'm just trying to help, and then you side with him. Can you please quote my post and tell me where I was wrong? Please. And while you're at it, don't grasp at straws.

In the future, you shouldn't generalize an entire state. It just makes you look like an idiot. BTW, that means "unintelligent" in elitest prick. Just having fun.
    If you sweat the small stuff, it doesn't turn into big stuff. - Me

OP, he's right about the bamboo cutting board. They are full of silica.

And 99% of the people on this site know waaaaay more than I do about knives. But the two Gesshin's that I suggested are still strong options.

What part of the Shun didn't feel right? The handle? Blade? You said you still used it when you needed something razor sharp. So the edge wasn't the problem. What was?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    First of all, there is nothing wrong with Shun. The only reason people around here don't like them, is because they are big box, and not made by some obscure knife maker. I kind of agree with this thinking in the respect that you should support the small guy. But where it becomes a problem is when people are steered away from a perfectly good knife just because it is famous.

I like it how stuff is made with "old world fire", if you catch my drift. But when the rubber meets the road, metal is metal, and you don't get as big as Shun without some measure of quality control.
    I'm not picking on you bro, but you are assuming waaaaaaay too much about the "people around here". The reasons a lot of us hate Shuns are because we have personal and professional experience with said maker. It has nothing to do with obscurity or even anything as noble as supporting the "small guy".

A majority of us don't think Shuns are terrible, we just believe there are much better knives to be had for less money. If you want to spend significantly more money for a knife made by a robot, that's fine...................I just think a lot of us have "been there, done that".
    I would also say that most of the QC issues I've seen in kitchen cutlery have been by companies as big, if not bigger than Shun.

To the OP, big thumbs up to the Itinomonn stainless clad with V2 core. Hiromoto AS Stainless clad is top-notch as well. The Hiro isn't available in a wa, but it is a fairly comfy western with integral bolster.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    I'm not picking on you bro, but you are assuming waaaaaaay too much about the "people around here". The reasons a lot of us hate Shuns are because we have personal and professional experience with said maker. It has nothing to do with obscurity or even anything as noble as supporting the "small guy".

A majority of us don't think Shuns are terrible, we just believe there are much better knives to be had for less money. If you want to spend significantly more money for a knife made by a robot, that's fine...................I just think a lot of us have "been there, done that".
    I would also say that most of the QC issues I've seen in kitchen cutlery have been by companies as big, if not bigger than Shun.

To the OP, big thumbs up to the Itinomonn stainless clad with V2 core. Hiromoto AS Stainless clad is top-notch as well. The Hiro isn't available in a wa, but it is a fairly comfy western with integral bolster.
    +1 i have used tons of shuns in the past and just find the profiles and feel of the knife isnt anything special and I can get a knife alot better for alot less. Thats why I dont like shuns.

Well, thanks for the insight, guys. Hopefully it's helping the OP. For sure it is helping me.

You're welcome.
    Dave
    Older and wider.