What should my next knife be?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aldo Ferrari

Reaction score
Hey gang, as my luck usually goes I found this forum about a year ago after I had just ordered a shun premier chef knife. Though shun are not really held with high regards in this forum it has done a decent enough job for me for the last year but it never felt right on my hands and I would usually find myself going for a generic old knife I have laying around to do most task unless I needed a significantly sharper knife I rarely would go for the shun, it just never felt right.

I have invested a lot in my kitchen equipment and I think it's only fair to add a decent knife to my tools. I'm looking for something like a chef knife mostly and want to spend around $150-200 if you guys could point me to the right direction that would be great. I'm also looking for a pairing knife but have no idea where to look for. I'm a stay home father and look after my 2 daughters and a part timer so I apologize if there's a thread similar to this but I just don't Much down time to sit and really research like I'd like too and I figure I can get an answer this way quicker.

Thanks to all in Advance.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Are you right or left handed?
I'm looking for both a pairing knife and chef's knife. What is the difference between a utilily and a chef's knife?
Right handed
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
I would like Japanese
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
8-9"
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
yes
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$200-$225

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meatsWhat knife, if any, are you replacing?

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

NO

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Can't find the options.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
The best i can get with my budget
aesthetics do not matter

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Don't Matter

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

Don't matter
KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
BAMBOO
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
No

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
YES
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
YES

First of all, there is nothing wrong with Shun. The only reason people around here don't like them, is because they are big box, and not made by some obscure knife maker. I kind of agree with this thinking in the respect that you should support the small guy. But where it becomes a problem is when people are steered away from a perfectly good knife just because it is famous.

Now on to your other problem. Check out this guy's site. He is a vendor here on the forum. He sells knives and stones that everyone recommends.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/

Here is a good gyuto:

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...in-uraku-210mm-white-2-kurouchi-wa-gyuto.html

And here is a good parer:

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...in-uraku-150mm-white-2-kurouchi-wa-petty.html

An added bonus is that they match, if that matters to you. And they hit your price point.

Alternatively at an even lower price point:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1504760/Shun+Classic+2-Piece+Knife+Set

They are Shun, but so what? Although the gyuto is a 6" model.

Personally, I would go with the two Gesshin knives. I like it how stuff is made with "old world fire", if you catch my drift. But when the rubber meets the road, metal is metal, and you don't get as big as Shun without some measure of quality control.

Seems that you are looking for a 210mm gyuto of some type. That is not a bad length to start with (I did that too). Some later move to 240mm (I did - found that length better to slice meat), but 210 is more nimble with vegetables.

There are actually quite a few knives within your budget that should perform well. The shops you may want to check, among others, are JKI (http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com - Jon is a great guy to talk to and knows his stuff), JCK (http://www.japanesechefsknife.com), EE (http://www.epicedge.com), KW (http://shop.knifewear.com) and although not in USA, but in Denmark - JNS (http://www.japanesechefsknife.com - Maksim is a great guy too :) ).

It would make sense to look around and see what shape of blade you like (more belly or flatter edge, taller or not so tall, thinner or not-that-thin, weight etc.)

If I were you I would have a look at the Kasumi Itinomonn from JNS - carbon core clad with stainless steel or the kurouchi one (carbon clad). Jon at JKI has several Gesshin lines that look very interesting - in particular Gesshin Ginga (carbon and stainless) get a lot of praise around here.

Another excellent choice could be Yoshikane with hammered finish. It has SKD (semi-stainless tool steel hardened to about HRC63) core clad with stainless. These are highly regarded and in my opinion well worth the price. I have one small petty from Yoshi and love it.

This just a tip of the iceberg. Surely others will come up with more knives.

Another option could be getting used knife here from BST.

One question about the sharpening - how do you plan to proceed? Do you have some budget set aside for some stones?

I completely missed the parer. Just a question - are you looking for a parer (=blade of 70-100mm, narrow blade, good for in-hand work) or a petty (usually 100-210mm).

For parer - I would look at the 90mm Itinomonn from JNS (the blade is only 19mm wide). If you look for a petty - that is tough. There are too many of them :)

So what should it be - parer or petty - and what length?

First of all, there is nothing wrong with Shun. The only reason people around here don't like them, is because they are big box, and not made by some obscure knife maker. I kind of agree with this thinking in the respect that you should support the small guy. But where it becomes a problem is when people are steered away from a perfectly good knife just because it is famous

Alternatively at an even lower price point:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PR...iece+Knife+Set

The OP specifically stated that he preferred using an old, dull low-end knife to using his Shun so you recommend he buy more Shuns?

The OP specifically stated that he preferred using an old, dull low-end knife to using his Shun so you recommend he buy more Shuns?

He also is using a Shun Premier and I suggested a Shun Classic, which has a different handle. I didn't see you suggesting anything. Just come in here to run me down?

Just come in here to run me down?

Go easy smoke breath. PC posed a fair question. If he wanted to run you down he might have asked if you had ever seen a Shun, held a Shun, used a Shun, sharpened a Shun? But he's much too civil for that. As am I.

But I do remember that 10 days ago you only had a pig sticker and were looking for advice on your first kitchen knife. Now you know all about Shuns?

Pls understand I'm not trying to denigrate you in any way (that means piling on in Texas speak). Just having fun.

To the OP.

Jon at JKI has been recommended and I would certainly concur that his offerings cover a wide spectrum of knives and provide very good value. I saw elsewhere that the Gesshin Ginga is back in stock - thats an excellent choice for a newcomer or anyone else that wants a solid, quality, no frills knife. (A Ginga was my first Japanese knife after a brief flirtation with Shun)

Maxim at JNS also offers a very good, no frills knife with his Intomonn series. A 210 gyuto will set you back 209, a 240 is 10 bucks more. http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-kasumi-210mm-wa-gyuto/

Other sponsering vendors include Epicurean Edge and Korin in the states and Tosho just to the north.

If you don't have to go new you might save a few bucks with the B/S/T sub-forum. Post what you're looking for and see what comes up.

Hope this helps.

He also is using a Shun Premier and I suggested a Shun Classic, which has a different handle. I didn't see you suggesting anything. Just come in here to run me down?

Both have d-handles and a lot of belly. The classic appears to be roughly a less attractive version of the knife the op already owns and does not like. That is, of course, only my opinion and I am aware it may be wrong.

I didn't respond to the op because he did not fill out key parts of the questionnaire and I did not think I could be of any help without that information.

Aldo,

How long is your Shun Premier and could you please describe this other knife you prefer using? (brand and model if possible; otherwise please describe the size, style and shape)
What is it about the Shun that you don't like and what do you like about this other knife?
What grips do you use when cutting?
Would you characterize your knife skills as basic, moderate or advanced? ie How long does it take you to dice an onion?

PS You should consider replacing your bamboo cutting board with something that is not so hard on knife edges.

Go easy smoke breath. PC posed a fair question. If he wanted to run you down he might have asked if you had ever seen a Shun, held a Shun, used a Shun, sharpened a Shun? But he's much too civil for that. As am I.

But I do remember that 10 days ago you only had a pig sticker and were looking for advice on your first kitchen knife. Now you know all about Shuns?

Pls understand I'm not trying to denigrate you in any way (that means piling on in Texas speak). Just having fun.

Awesome. He comes in, runs me down when I'm just trying to help, and then you side with him. Can you please quote my post and tell me where I was wrong? Please. And while you're at it, don't grasp at straws.

In the future, you shouldn't generalize an entire state. It just makes you look like an idiot. BTW, that means "unintelligent" in elitest prick. Just having fun.

OP, he's right about the bamboo cutting board. They are full of silica.

And 99% of the people on this site know waaaaay more than I do about knives. But the two Gesshin's that I suggested are still strong options.

What part of the Shun didn't feel right? The handle? Blade? You said you still used it when you needed something razor sharp. So the edge wasn't the problem. What was?

First of all, there is nothing wrong with Shun. The only reason people around here don't like them, is because they are big box, and not made by some obscure knife maker. I kind of agree with this thinking in the respect that you should support the small guy. But where it becomes a problem is when people are steered away from a perfectly good knife just because it is famous.

I like it how stuff is made with "old world fire", if you catch my drift. But when the rubber meets the road, metal is metal, and you don't get as big as Shun without some measure of quality control.

I'm not picking on you bro, but you are assuming waaaaaaay too much about the "people around here". The reasons a lot of us hate Shuns are because we have personal and professional experience with said maker. It has nothing to do with obscurity or even anything as noble as supporting the "small guy".

A majority of us don't think Shuns are terrible, we just believe there are much better knives to be had for less money. If you want to spend significantly more money for a knife made by a robot, that's fine...................I just think a lot of us have "been there, done that".
I would also say that most of the QC issues I've seen in kitchen cutlery have been by companies as big, if not bigger than Shun.

To the OP, big thumbs up to the Itinomonn stainless clad with V2 core. Hiromoto AS Stainless clad is top-notch as well. The Hiro isn't available in a wa, but it is a fairly comfy western with integral bolster.

I'm not picking on you bro, but you are assuming waaaaaaay too much about the "people around here". The reasons a lot of us hate Shuns are because we have personal and professional experience with said maker. It has nothing to do with obscurity or even anything as noble as supporting the "small guy".

A majority of us don't think Shuns are terrible, we just believe there are much better knives to be had for less money. If you want to spend significantly more money for a knife made by a robot, that's fine...................I just think a lot of us have "been there, done that".
I would also say that most of the QC issues I've seen in kitchen cutlery have been by companies as big, if not bigger than Shun.

To the OP, big thumbs up to the Itinomonn stainless clad with V2 core. Hiromoto AS Stainless clad is top-notch as well. The Hiro isn't available in a wa, but it is a fairly comfy western with integral bolster.

+1 i have used tons of shuns in the past and just find the profiles and feel of the knife isnt anything special and I can get a knife alot better for alot less. Thats why I dont like shuns.

Well, thanks for the insight, guys. Hopefully it's helping the OP. For sure it is helping me.

/\
||
||
W T F is up with you, dude? Chill.

Let's please try and keep this civil gentlemen.

Back