Mixing strop compounds

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
I made a couple strops, and on one of my balsa strops I have a compound that I am not wild about. I hardly ever use it anymore. Any problem with putting another compound right over it? The compound currently on it is the finest grained compound I have, so the new stuff on top of it would be a lower grit.

Figured might as well try it, better than having a strop I never use.

How thick is your balsa? If its so much of a pain for you just sand it out.
Or just mix it. Would it really matter?

Right, what do I have to lose other than a 1/4 teaspoon of compound?

How thick is your balsa? If its so much of a pain for you just sand it out.
Or just mix it. Would it really matter?

1/4". Not sure if it would matter. Gonna find out! Sanding I am weary of, even if it was thicker, because I do not want any particles from what I am sanding with to lodge themselves in the balsa.

Right, what do I have to lose other than a 1/4 teaspoon of compound?

1/4". Not sure if it would matter. Gonna find out! Sanding I am weary of, even if it was thicker, because I do not want any particles from what I am sanding with to lodge themselves in the balsa.

This is a very good point. If you do wish to remove the surface of the balsa, a card scraper would be just the ticket.

1. Flip the Balsa over?
2. Buy a new balsa, it's like $2.
3. You can sand it down. I cleaned mine up lightly with 2500 grit sandpaper before I loaded them.
4. Just cover it up. The old compound will just make tinier scratches, and their impact will be obscured by the bigger particles.

The balsa is glued to a wooden base. I have more balsa and more bases, but I would like to make this one useful again. I am sharpening today, I will try adding new compound to it.

Back