First time sharpener!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexG

Reaction score
Hi!

I didn't have a sharpie so I went in and sharpened an old ****** stainless Faberware chef knife. I bought a combo stone of 1000/6000 so it took me forever to chase burrs.

Here what I did:
Form a burr on each side. with the 1000 stone
Re did a quick sharpened on each side to try and reduce the burr?
Switch to the 6000
Same thing: chase the burr - reduce the burr

De-burred using thick cardboard I had lyring around. Didn't have any strops or wine caps (forgot the english name for liège)

And this happened: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10154167044720525&set=vb.621590524&type=2&theater

Worked out ok.

My questions are: How to know if I got best result for the type of stones I have? How to know when to stop sharpening with rough stone? How much of a burr? Also what am I looking for in de-burring? Different knife feel? 0% burr when i scratch the edge on the side of my finger?

Thanks

Can't really help with the sharpening question unfortunately, but what I will say is don't click the link with your laptop on full volume and headphones on:dazed::biggrin:

Can't really help with the sharpening question unfortunately, but what I will say is don't click the link with your laptop on full volume and headphones on:dazed::biggrin:

Haha! Sorry about that, I was filming with my cellphone in my hand! Thanks for watching :p

Latest posts

Back