Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decoy Knives?

A Kasumi Santoku, a Messermeister mini chef and a couple serrated Wustoffs are in a block on the counter for easy access. Not like anyone does any real cooking in my kitchen . My wife and friends feel very comfortable around cheap Oxo knives. They don't hold an edge, but I maintain them.

Most people are too scared to handle the 240mm gyutos so I usually don't have to worry about them. If they do use it they soon find it "too sharp" and again too scared to keep using it lol. I keep my mom's old knives (cutcos and henkels) in the drawer as decoy knives. Now that I think about it, you probably should keep a few serrated knives in your drawer because that's what people who are used to dull knives usually grabs first.

I've got a block of old stainless Henckels that nobody can hurt...agree with what has been said that nobody wants to handle a big/sharp gyuto or cleaver when there is always a smaller less intimidating option nearby.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Got an old Henckels and some old whustof's in a block on the counter that way they have an option and don't go for my knives that may still be out

henckels sandwich knife. guarantee every guest grabs that first.

i have all my knives on a magnetic bar and a bunch of old wuesthofs on the counter for my girlfriend and guests.she insists on me keeping them sharp and has threatened to use mine otherwise.i make sure to sharpen them twice a week.

Global knives seem to be particulary well suited for this task: well known and immediately recognized, well regarded by the general public.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to carefully consider which ones I go for.

I agree that they do have to be attractive enough that people will be drawn to them and not go looking for something better, and everything in my kitchen is high end so I wouldn't want an ugly set ruining the aesthetics. I guess that I could get a block to hide away in the cupboard most of the time and then switch them over with the good knives when people are visiting and might want to participate in the kitchen.

I'll have to see if some Globals or something similarly flashy are on special offer anywhere, it kills me to even consider dropping $100s on a set of decoys which will never be used by either me or the wife.

After thinning a Global G-2 or GS-5 is a decent knife you may enjoy using yourself, I would say.

I will second Benuser's suggestion for the Global knives. We have some knives in a block and the rest on magnetic bars. It is a really wide assortment. Being in retail it is not unusual for a company to send you a sample or give you one at a trade show. My husband is currently going through some medical issues and lots of family and friends are in and out of our house helping look after him. If any of them need a knife for anything, the Globals seem to be what they are attracted too. I regularly find one on the sink, with cheese dried to the blade, or worse yet, find it in the dishwasher. At our house, the star attraction seems to be the Global 5-1/2 inch vegetable knife.