Quantcast
Decoy Knives? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decoy Knives?

Here are some of my tips:

(1) Segregation. It has worked well for me. The number of times an poor user dips into the knice knives is very rare. And here is the kicker, in order to get some really good segregation you have to buy a lot of knives. Ok, maybe that isn't necessary, but it helps.

(2) Cheap Henkels or Victorinox paring knives. Relatives and in-laws rarely use the big knives, and will mostly go for paring knives.

(3) Wa Handles. Wa handles scream out "DO NOT USE". It's just how it is. And the prettier they are the lower the chance of unauthorized use.

(4) Instruction. By instructing the poor users, you have a win-win situation. If they listen, they might actually learn something, if they don't understand it and think you are a knife knerd then they will be even less inclined to use your blades. Just take out a strop, spray it with diamond spray, and talk about angles and stuff. They will never touch that sh!t again.

(5) Throw in a letter opener into the knife drawer. Just see if anyone uses it -- you'll be surprised and amused. Unless that is until they use your letter opener constantly to cut cheese, spread peanut butter, and on and on. Then you will be forced to label your letter opener because you are sick of people using it for food.

I'd post a picture of mine, but I don't see how to attach photos to this thread.

karring
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

left drawer:
    cheap stainless Chinese cleaver, small
    Henckels 4-star paring
    Victorinox paring
    grocery-store paring, cheap stainless, bent

right drawer:
    Ashi Hamono cleaver, white #2
    San Hang Nga cleaver, carbon
    Tanaka blue #2 petty, 150mm
    Fujiwara FKM petty, 150mm
    Tojiro ITK bread knife

Message to others:
    use the knives in the left drawer

Result:
    mostly they use the knives in the left and the good stuff is untouched. Sometimes folks pull out the Fujiwara petty, due I assume to the Western handle. Nobody touches the big cleavers or the wa Tanaka. I think Mr. Drinky's right about people shying away from big knives and wa handles.

Everyone who's stepped foot in my kitchen has outright said that they're scared of my Chinese cleaver and wouldn't dare go near one.

Yeah, my wife still freaks out when she sees my CCK cleaver on a chopping board although I've had it for a while...
    When my mum visited our place last time, I actually offered my Sugi 4030 for her to try coz it's smaller and SS, but she got scared and never used it.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjs103121 View Post
    Yeah, my wife still freaks out when she sees my CCK cleaver on a chopping board although I've had it for a while...
    When my mum visited our place last time, I actually offered my Sugi 4030 for her to try coz it's smaller and SS, but she got scared and never used it.
    Where do you get them in Aus?

Couldn't get it locally. CCK from chefsmall.net and Sugi from JCK (need to send an email to Koki coz the small SS model is not listed on the website).
    I heard some Asian supermarkets used to carry CCKs but couldn't possibly find them.

Edit: if you're after CCK, consider Shibazi from the same website I mentioned. I think CCKs are over-priced (at least on that website). I heard Shibazi is as good as CCK but cheaper. It actually featured in this CCTV documentary show here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sijUq_Gxyu4
    Last edited by jsjs103121; 05-21-2014 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Extra info

Fortune kitchenware in Hurstville and Campsie stock some CCKs; you would have to pay Australian pricing though.

Thanks Chanop. I am suddenly not keen on that idea . Sorry for hijacking thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wisew View Post
    Everyone who's stepped foot in my kitchen has outright said that they're scared of my Chinese cleaver and wouldn't dare go near one.
    When people say to me, "Oh! Scary cleaver!" I ask them, "Which would you rather have in a knife fight, the cleaver, or some other kind of knife that actually has a point?"
    Crickets.
    Then:
    "Oh! Scary cleaver!"

There's nothing worse when someone dear to you is using your knives in an improper way (such as scraping the blade face over a metal bowl to get the remaining diced onions off). Then when you ask them not to do that YOU feel like the anal retentive weirdo. Fortunately, my spouse respects my knives and uses them daily and I never have to worry about her.

+ Reply to Thread