Greetings from Minneapolis

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boondocker

Reaction score
I just found this forum last night digging around on the googles. I recognize a few names from the old Foodie Forums, I think. Anywho....

My wife and I moved down from Duluth last summer. I've been working in the industry at a couple private clubs in Duluth for the 5-6 years prior. I'm now cooking in Minneapolis. Its like that song from Aladdin 'a whole new world'.

I was very surprised to see so many others from the twin cities on this forum and look foreward to possibly getting together with some other knife nuts to discuss things (and get some sharpening guidance.). Also, having an excuse to actually get out and experience the food scene!

I've never really had that opportunity, everything I know I've learned from the internet and my own trial and error at home. But, you all care less about that and more about this -

Gear:
stones:
atoma 140
king 220
bester 1200 (well, a very small piece of it. I overused it for a couple years, it wore down and cracked into 3 pieces one day last week)
jnat aono aoto
naniwa ss5k
and a natural finishing stone from a vendor who I can't remember :biggrin:

knives:
Masamoto VG gyuto 240 (daily knife, needing replacement also)
Masamoto carbon suji 240
Masamoto carbon suji 300 (can't remember which line, but not the current ones. It has a brown wood handle and is still of the hand engraved generation)
Masamoto kk(?) yanagi 330
Masamoto baby deba
Nenox g-series gyuto 210
nenox g series suji 240 (225ish after a repair)
global flexi boning knife
minamoto deba 180
and a tiny misono moly paring knife 80mm(?) (honestly can't remember the length, but the shortest one ive ever found)
I think I have a CCK cleaver in an old knife roll somewhere

Oh, and I like to play in mudd

Greetings Boondocker! Looks like you'll fit right in here.

Welcome! Where do you work?

I work in Northeast Minneapolis (architecture, just cook at home)
I just signed up yesterday also!

And, not to sound too forward, but if you are looking to sell your Gyuto 240 (your daily knife you mentioned) I would be very interested in it.

Welcome! Where do you work?

I work in Northeast Minneapolis (architecture, just cook at home)
I just signed up yesterday also!

And, not to sound too forward, but if you are looking to sell your Gyuto 240 (your daily knife you mentioned) I would be very interested in it.

You dont want it, its been the victim of numerous "learning moments" as an old chef of mine liked to say. I'm working at a couple places in town. I have a full time job on the line at a French place and do prep part time at a seafood place in minneapolis.

Greetings Boondocker! Looks like you'll fit right in here.

Thanks! excited to learn from you all.

Back