Quantcast
Mirin question - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mirin question

i guess things are different in Ohio, as i can buy several brands and varieties of mirin rather inexpensively the local Asian grocery stores, and it's not sold as an alcoholic beverage. good stuff and i agree that it's very distinctive.

There are lots of cooking mirins available, but I was finding it really hard to find any without salt added. I would prefer to control the sodium content myself, thus the search. The MIRIN that I obtained is without added sodium and is not the same as the "cooking Mirin" thet is commonly available, although they do call it "cooking MIRIN", it is salt free. I cannot help but think that MIRIN without salt is a better product than one that is adulterateated to be undrinkable.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

the mirin i've bought isn't "cooking mirin," but i have no idea what the salt content is, as i don't read or speak Japanese. i imagine you're right in your assumption.

There is one mega asian grocery store that I haven't checked recently, so there may be some that I am not aware of. Here in Puddletown we have a large asian population which makes me confused why there are still some products that are not prevalent. I can get kaffir lime leaves, fresh galangal, and all sorts of esoteric ingredients, but unsalted Mirin has been a stumbling block! Go figger!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

weird, mate.

Spike:

Which brand did you end up buying?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Takara, in Berkeley.
    Spike C
    Pirsig

So how did it work?

I haven't had a chance to cook with it yet, but a taste test shows a distinctive flavor that I can see working with sake.
    Spike C
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I haven't had a chance to cook with it yet, but a taste test shows a distinctive flavor that I can see working with sake.
    Where did you buy it in Berkeley? Tokyo Fish?

+ Reply to Thread