Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: good entry level honesuki

WTB: good entry level honesuki

I'm interested in a decent entry level honesuki. As a home cook, I don't break down enough chickens to warrant spending a lot on this knife, but I think it might be fun to have one. I'm right-handed, and would be open to either carbon or stainless, western or wa handle. I'd prefer to keep the cost below $100 (might go a bit higher for something better, but not a lot). I have a few Japanese waterstones and Marko hard felt strop so would be able to maintain its sharpness.

Tod, I was on the very same quest. Then I asked Jon from JKI for help - he has several models. Jon has recently added a simple western handle stainless steel honesuki to his webpage ($75). He also has a semi-stainless one for $95 (not on the webpage, but should look very similar to the stainless one). He told me that the F&F is not particularly great, but the steel should be very good. You can see it HERE. Description from Jon: "from left to right: new stainless ones, semi-stainless ones that i was mentioning with bad F&F but great steel, gesshin ginga, gesshin ginga, kochi, and heiji"

I purchased the 165mm Suissin Yo Deba over the holiday's and have been extremelly happy with its performance.

Look into the Tojito DP Western Deba - great chicken butcher for the buck and you can dress out a big fish with it as well.

Seems like many use deba instead of honesuki. I for one would probably not go there, because deba has a lot of belly what makes the tip harder to use. In comparison honesuki has nearly straight edge and so the tip is much more usable. But that is a personal preference I guess.

Fujiwara FKM Honesuki fits your needs, solid knife too

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    Seems like many use deba instead of honesuki. I for one would probably not go there, because deba has a lot of belly what makes the tip harder to use. In comparison honesuki has nearly straight edge and so the tip is much more usable. But that is a personal preference I guess.

That is one big deba - that poor chicken has no chance On the other hand - I would not want to use a knife this big/heavy to actually debone a chicken.

First you're breaking down a chicken now you're deboning a chicken. I wouldn't use a honesuki for deboning - a paring knife is for that.

Sorry about previous post. Got a little side tracked. Although I do own the deba, I ment to post 150mm Suisin yo honasuki.
    Good food is essential, where knives are an integral part of the process.