Quantcast
WTB stabilised brazillian rosewood
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB stabilised brazillian rosewood

WTB stabilised brazillian rosewood

I am trying to find a stabilised block for a hidden tang western rehandle, I'd really like a nice piece of Brazillian Rosewood burl, but I'd also consider a nice piece of ironwood burl, Honduran rosewood, ziricote burl etc

Thanks for looking
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

A nice new project coming, Huw?
    I see, I like, I cut!

I don't think I have ever seen such a thing. Never came across Brazilian rosewood in burl form. In general, export has been illegal for decades now and whatever you find needs to be very old stock. That said, I hade a conversation with Mark recently about B. rosewood, and he recommended against stabilizing because the one he tried kept bleeding for years. Your best bet for B. rosewood should be instrument makers, but not sure they would have burl. If you find any, I would love to see it

Stefan

What's the exact size you need?

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I don't think I have ever seen such a thing. Never came across Brazilian rosewood in burl form. In general, export has been illegal for decades now and whatever you find needs to be very old stock. That said, I hade a conversation with Mark recently about B. rosewood, and he recommended against stabilizing because the one he tried kept bleeding for years. Your best bet for B. rosewood should be instrument makers, but not sure they would have burl. If you find any, I would love to see it
    Thanks Stefan, i had a Burke with Brazilian Rosewood (not burl) I didn't realise it was so rare. Ok so brazillian rosewood is a no go, so lets say ironwood burl, or Honduran rosewood burl.
    Huw

I know Martin guitars spent millions on their stockpile once the ban was imminent, and getting one of their dreeadnaughts with the Honduran--》 Brazilian upgrade doubles the price.

I may be able to help you. I used to live in Costa Rica and still have some cocobolo from there. Not burl, but very pretty. I also have Desert ironwood. Not burl, but a nice chocolate brown. I can send you pictures of handles I have made with both as well as photos of the blocks themselves.
    I never stabilize either, because they are so hard I haven't had shrinkage problems. A few notes about Cocobolo: The dust is toxic. After sanding, clean with acetone and immediately seal with thinned shellac. I like ruby shellac. The wood has oil in it so nothing will stick or dry until you seal it. After, use any finish you want. I typically use tung oil.

Thanks for all the help & offers, I have found a couple of very nice pieces of Gidgee, thanks to one of our Aussie brethren.
    Huw

I have some Beazilian rosewood stock, not burl and not stabilised if you are in need

Don't get caught shipping brazilian rosewood overseas. It's very illegal.
    You would be in violation of the endangered species act, and it might end up being a felony if they decide to throw the book at you.
    Is it really worth a $50,000 fine and a year in jail?